Get in touch with the right contacts for all of our services.
Nemours, one of the nation’s leading pediatric health systems, has been recognized again by U.S. News & World Report for being among the best children’s health systems in the nation in the 2013-2014 edition of Best Children’s Hospitals.
In the latest rankings, released today, Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, DE, was ranked in eight out of ten specialties, while four specialties provided by Nemours physicians at Wolfson Children’s Hospital in Jacksonville, FL, made the list.
This is the fourth year in a row that both duPont Hospital for Children and Wolfson Children’s Hospital have been ranked in at least one specialty.
Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children ranked in the following specialties:
Wolfson Children’s Hospital ranked in the following specialties provided by Nemours physicians:
- Diabetes & Endocrinology (#33)
- Orthopedics (#21)
- Pulmonology (#47)
- Urology (#26)
Key Facts, Quotes & Additional Resources
- This is the first time Wolfson Children’s Hospital made the list for orthopedics.
- duPont Hospital for Children improved over 2012 in 7 of their 8 ranked specialties.
- For the 2013-14 rankings, U.S. News used 2 surveys: a clinical questionnaire sent to 179 pediatric hospitals and, for the reputational assessment, a survey of 150 pediatric specialists and subspecialists in each specialty. The 1,500 physicians were asked where they would send the sickest children in their specialty, setting aside location and expense. A separate reputational survey in which 1,500 pediatric specialists — 150 in each specialty — were asked where they would send the sickest children in their specialty made up the remaining 25 percent.
- A hospital’s reputation among doctors was only a small part of what U.S. News factored into its rankings. Three-quarters of each hospital’s score was determined through an analysis of patient outcomes and data on the structural resources each hospital has for pediatric care.
- 87 of the 179 participating hospitals ranked in one or more specialties.
“Nemours deserves high praise — Ranking shows the dedication and expertise that Nemours brings to the care of children who need those qualities the most. We think it is important to identify and call attention to pediatric centers like this one.”
— Avery Comarow, U.S. News and World Report Health Rankings Editor
“Nemours has made a promise to do whatever it takes to help children grow up healthy and reach their full potential. Working with outstanding partners like Wolfson Children’s Hospital, delivering on that promise means having the expertise and capabilities to prevent and treat even the most disabling childhood conditions, and doing it at the highest level, every time. We are committed to being among the best in the nation in providing pediatric and specialty care to our children and families. The specialty rankings from U.S. News & World Report recognize deep expertise in caring for children with serious problems — and places Nemours among the best in the nation.”
— David J. Bailey, MD, MBA, President & CEO, Nemours
“Wolfson Children’s Hospital, along with our pediatric healthcare partners, Nemours Children’s Clinic, Jacksonville, and the University of Florida College of Medicine - Jacksonville, is thrilled to be named among the top 50 children’s hospitals in the country for the fourth year in a row. We are proud of the efforts of our medical faculty, nurses, and all of our staff for their commitment to outstanding children’s health care, which has led once again to this recognition. U.S. News rankings assure parents that their children can get the same comprehensive, quality pediatric health care here in Northeast Florida that is available at other nationally known top children’s hospitals across the nation.”
— Michael D. Aubin, FACHE, Wolfson Children’s Hospital President
About Wolfson Children's Hospital
Wolfson Children’s Hospital in Jacksonville, FL, serves as our region’s pediatric referral center and only hospital just for kids. The 180-bed, patient- and family-centered hospital features an environment filled with bright colors, warm smiles and the latest children’s medical technology.
At Wolfson Children’s Hospital, nationally recognized pediatric specialists representing nearly every medical and surgical specialty work with pediatricians to provide care for children of all ages with congenital heart conditions, cancer, neurological disorders, orthopaedic conditions, behavioral health disorders and more. The hospital is staffed by pediatric nurses and other healthcare professionals specially trained to work with children.
Wolfson Children’s pediatric partners include Nemours Children’s Clinic, the University of Florida Jacksonville and Mayo Clinic Florida. For additional information, please visit wolfsonchildrens.org.