Our volunteers care to share with pediatric patients, their families, and our staff in our waiting rooms, clinics, and offices. Our staff typically treats 300 to 500 children each day. Our goal is to match your interests and skills with the needs of those we serve. We are open Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Openings for volunteer positions change constantly, so not all opportunities are available at any given time.
Please note that all volunteer opportunities are available in 4-hour shifts Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to noon or 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Recreational Activities for Children
Magical Mobile Puppet Theater
Have a flair for the dramatic? The Magical Mobile Puppet Theater uses puppets and books to entice children to enjoy reading and literature.
Share your love of reading with children waiting to see their doctors. Roving Reader volunteers travel throughout the clinic, helping to take children’s minds off of their health problems and focus them instead on wonderful stories and colorful pictures.
Borrow-Our-Books Family Resource Library
You can make a difference in the lives of kids by sharing your love of reading! "BOB" (Borrow-Our-Books) volunteers help children pick out award-winning books, as well as Disney and other kid-friendly movies, to borrow for 2 weeks. The Family Resource Library is located right in the front lobby next to the check-in area. Our free lending library also has great resources for patients and parents of children with special needs.
Bring a smile to a child's face by being a Nemours Fantastic Friend! Fantastic Friend volunteers play games, do easy arts and crafts projects, read, and talk to pediatric patients who are waiting to see their doctors.
Clowning Around Volunteers
If you have previous experience as a clown and want to entertain pediatric patients, you will have a new volunteer home at Nemours! Whether you do hand and face painting, perform magic tricks, or tell funny stories, your talents are sure to delight children of all ages.
Clinical Department Support
Thinking about a career in health care? Having experience in a clinical area looks great on your resume or school application. Clinic Assistant Volunteers help call pediatric patients into the treatment areas, get the rooms set up for the next patient, do occasional filing, and help keep the areas neat and clean. You can help in the following clinics and medical departments: Radiology/Orthopedics, Ear/Nose/Throat, Endocrinology, Infectious Diseases, Pharmacy, and Hematology/Oncology.
Office Staff Support
Like to work in a professional environment with nice people who appreciate your help? Then volunteer to assist with administrative/clerical duties at Nemours Children's Clinic. If you enjoy filing, copying, making telephone calls, data entry work, and helping to organize, this is the volunteer assignment for you!
Health Information Management (HIM)
Health Information Management (HIM) is responsible for the safety and security of our patients’ confidential medical information. HIM volunteers help staff prepare and scan documents into the electronic medical system and perform other helpful clerical duties.
How to Apply
Requirements for Adults & College Student Applicants
All volunteers must:
- request an online application by contacting the Volunteer Services Department
- gain medical clearance including two tuberculosis tests, an immunization titer, and a urine drug screening (all provided by Nemours)
- clear background screenings, including - but not limited to - two personal references
- participate in an interview with the Director of Volunteer Services
- attend a 4-hour orientation class and annual update training
- complete training to perform outstanding customer service to patients, their families, and associates
- make a commitment to serve at least 50 hours per year
- serve at least a 4-hour shift once a week in a designated time slot
Adults and college students may apply at any time.
- have consistent patience interacting with children from birth to age 18, as well as with their siblings and parents
- be able to speak and understand English
- be willing to learn the skills necessary to be competent in their duties and responsibilities
Becoming a Nemours volunteer allows you to:
- explore career opportunities
- contribute to your community
- meet new and interesting people
- gain invaluable learning experiences, as well as references and recommendations
- be eligible for a college scholarship (two are given each year)
- receive a free annual flu vaccine
- receive free parking and a free meal in the cafeteria
- be recognized for your service hours