Welcome to the Volunteer Program at Nemours Children’s Clinic in Pensacola, Florida! We have a variety of opportunities available for adults interested in volunteering in a pediatric health care environment. Volunteers care to share with pediatric patients, their families, and our staff in our waiting rooms, clinics, and offices. Our goal is to match your interests and skills with the needs of those we serve.
All volunteers receive training to prepare them for their volunteer positions. Below are brief descriptions of positions available. Volunteer opportunities are available in 4-hour shifts Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to noon or 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Openings for these positions change constantly.
We strive to match volunteers with the assignment, day, and time that best meets their needs as well as ours. Positions are subject to availability.
Recreational Activitites for Children
Volunteer pet visitation teams provide lots of “puppy love” to patients and their families in the waiting rooms. All dogs must have a certification from a pet visitation accrediting organization. Teams usually volunteer for a 2-hour shift.
Waiting Room Assistance
This is a very popular and fun volunteer activity! Volunteers provide recreational activities to patients in our waiting rooms. If you like to play, do arts and crafts, and color, then this is the volunteer position for you.
Do you love to read? Share that love with children by roaming through the waiting rooms and reading out loud to the patients.
Magical Mobile Puppet Theater
Do you have a flair for the dramatic? Here is your opportunity to perform short skits using puppets for the patients in the waiting rooms.
If you have previous experience as a clown and want to entertain pediatric patients, you will have a new volunteer home at Nemours. Whether you do hand and face painting, perform magic tricks, or tell funny stories, your talents are sure to delight children of all ages.
Office Staff Support
Assist staff by copying, filing, and answering telephones. Your time and skills will be put to good use!
How to Apply
Please note: We are currently accepting adult applications only.
All volunteers must:
- contact the Nemours Volunteer Services Department to request an online application
- gain medical clearance including two tuberculosis tests, an immunization titer, and a urine drug screening (all provided by the clinic)
- clear background screenings, including – but not limited to – two personal references
- participate in an interview with the Director of Volunteer Services
- complete a 3-hour orientation prior to volunteering
- make a commitment to serve at least 50 hours per year
- serve a 4-hour shift once per week in a designated time slot
All applicants must:
- be able to speak and understand English
- be willing to learn the skills necessary to be competent in their duties
- have a helpful and caring attitude and a respect for confidentiality
Becoming a Nemours volunteer allows you to:
- explore career opportunities
- contribute to your community
- meet interesting people and learn new skills
- receive a free annual flu vaccine
- gain invaluable learning experiences in a health care setting