View trusted insights from KidsHealth.org, the #1 most viewed health site for children, created by the experts at Nemours. We've also provided information from the most-respected
From Nemours' KidsHealth
- How Can I Help My Child Overcome Shyness?
- Does Ritalin Have Side Effects?
- Talking to Your Child About Drugs
- Taking Your Child to a Therapist
- Could ADHD Be Hereditary?
- Kids and Alcohol
- Teaching Your Child Self-Control
- What Is ADHD?
- Your Child's Habits
- Helping Kids Deal With Bullies
- Disciplining Your Child
- About Teen Suicide
- 5 Ways to Bully-Proof Your Kid
- Cough and Cold Medicine Abuse
- Connecting With Your Preteen
- Taming Tempers
- Disciplining Your Toddler
- Teaching Kids Not to Bully
- Helping Kids Cope With Cliques
- Helping Teens Who Cut
- Drugs: What Parents Need to Know
- Marijuana: What Parents Need to Know
- Cyberbullying: New Problems, New Tactics
- The Rise of Psychiatric Diagnoses in Younger Kids
Trusted External Resources
Drugs: What Parents Need to Know
Few parents ever imagine that their child will grow up to do drugs, but drug usage among kids and teens is a stark reality. Drugs are everywhere — from big cities to small towns — and are used by people of all ages, races, and economic means.
Knowing what drugs are available, what they can do, and how they can affect someone is the first step in raising drug-free kids. The second step — and probably most important — is to talk to your child early and often about the dangers of drugs.
Click below to learn about some common drugs: