Adjusting to life with diabetes is manageable, and children with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes can do everything other kids without diabetes can. Our comprehensive program for children with diabetes includes the total care experience. From diagnosis to providing education and support, we will help your child get into the habit of managing their disease each day without missing a beat at being a kid.
When your child has a condition like Type 1 diabetes (previously called juvenile diabetes) or Type 2, it can affect your entire family’s routines, schedules, and even meal planning.
Our Nemours board-certified pediatric endocrinologists are specially trained in helping families learn to successfully manage diabetes. Our teams of experts — including certified diabetes educators, advanced registered nurse practitioners, registered dietitians, licensed clinical social workers, and others — will provide the tools, a personalized treatment plan for your child, and ongoing education and support you need to help ensure your child maintains a healthy lifestyle.
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Diabetes Forms & Resources
- Endocrinology New Patient Form (PDF)
- Diabetes Clinic Follow-Up Visit (PDF)
- Basal Testing Requirements (PDF)
- Insulin Pump Log (PDF)
- Blood Glucose Log (PDF)
- Lantus/Levemir Fax Flowsheet (PDF)
- Pediatric Diabetes Education: New Patient Form (PDF)
- Youth Feelings and Beliefs About Diabetes Survey (PDF)
Please make sure to also bring blood glucose meters to your appointments.
Diabetes Forms & Resources
Sometimes a diagnosis of diabetes can feel like it came out of nowhere. And when it’s your child diagnosed with the disease, it can throw you completely off guard. We understand how you feel – you want answers and you want immediate help for your child. At Nemours Children’s Clinic, Orlando, our board-certified pediatric endocrinologists are experienced in giving you the answers you need, and the help you want for your child.
Our diabetes team of pediatric endocrinologists, nurses, certified diabetes educators, registered dietitians, and mental health counselors, care for children diagnosed with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes (also called juvenile diabetes). We have the resources and expertise to evaluate your child’s condition, diagnose, and with your help, determine the right treatment plan for your child.
Helping Your Child Adjust to Life With Diabetes
Even though diabetes will bring some changes to your child’s life, it shouldn’t affect much of your child’s daily activities and routine. With guidance from our diabetes experts, we’ll help you and your child feel comfortable with the diabetes routine – learning about normal blood sugar levels, and most importantly, learning that living with diabetes is doable.
Once your child is diagnosed with diabetes, we’ll work with your family and your child to develop a treatment plan that fits your child’s needs. At each visit, your child will meet with members of our diabetes team. This multi-disciplinary, patient-centered approach to care ensures that your child has the opportunity to receive a variety of resources from our diabetes experts.
Along with ongoing care, we’ll give you diabetes resources from the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and other respected sources, to help you and others who care for your child when you’re not around know how to manage your child’s diabetes, too. You and your child will learn the basics of what it takes to successfully manage juvenile diabetes.
In addition to your child’s initial diabetes education and follow-up appointments, we offer:
- in-office hemoglobin A1c testing
- access to 24-hour, on-call support for diabetes emergencies
- convenient blood sugar reporting by email, fax, or phone
- inpatient and outpatient diagnostic and therapeutic services
- information about the latest technologies and treatments
- individualized diabetes education from American Diabetes Association-accredited programs
- nutrition and weight management counseling
- links to support groups for children with diabetes and their families
- access to other Nemours specialists if needed to care for your child’s condition
At Nemours Children’s Clinic, Orlando, we offer children with diabetes and their families several cutting-edge treatment therapies such as:
Insulin Pump Therapy
A microcomputer designed to provide a constant supply of insulin, mimicking the job of the pancreas. It’s convenient, flexible, and accurate, but requires extensive training to learn how to use it properly and to prevent complications.
To be considered for insulin pump therapy, your child must be evaluated by the diabetes team and attend several educational classes before and after an insulin pump is ordered.
Continuous Glucose Monitoring and I-Pro Devices
Similar in size to a pager, these devices require a small “sensor” inserted in the skin which measures blood sugars nearly continuously.
- “real-time” glucose readings
- alarms when blood sugar is approaching dangerously high or
- information about blood glucose trends
- Boggy Creek Camps
- Florida Diabetes Camp
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Carbohydrate Counting classes
- Healthy Lifestyle classes
- Advanced Insulin Pump classes
- Annual Diabetes Transition Class: Held in the Spring, this class is designed for older children transitioning to an adult provider, and provides resource information such as:
- adult endocrinologists
- managing supplies and medications
- college or other secondary school
- diabetes and employment
- driving, traveling
- meal planning
- alcohol and the effects on diabetes
- complications and how to avoid them and more
Center of Excellence
The Pediatric Diabetes Education Program at Nemours Children’s Clinic, Orlando, is one of only a few in Florida accredited as a Center of Excellence by the American Diabetes Association – making us the first pediatric program in Central Florida to have achieved such an award, and only the second pediatric-specific program in Florida. This recognition means our pediatric diabetes educators are providing high-quality information and care to children with diabetes and support to their families.