If your baby comes into the world facing any kind of medical or surgical challenge, our highly skilled teams of Nemours neonatologists (newborn medicine specialists) can give you immediate care right when you need it. Our Neonatology specialists provide compassionate expert care in technologically advanced Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICU).
Common Conditions Treated by Our Neonatologists
Fortunately, most newborn problems are temporary and correctable with time and treatment — and our entire Nemours NICU teams are here to support you and your baby from the start.
Our NICUs are well-prepared and experienced in providing the necessary intensive care for babies with conditions such as:
- necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC): inflammation and cell damage in the colon (large bowel) that mostly affects premature babies
- omphalocele: a birth defect in which some of the abdominal organs protrude through the abdominal muscles in a sac outside the body
- gastroschisis: a defect in which a baby’s stomach and intestines protrude through an opening at the side of the belly button
- myelomeningocele: better known as spina bifida, a condition in which the spine doesn’t fully close during fetal development
- intestinal atresias: when a portion of the intestine fails to form or
is too narrow
- urogenital disorders: any birth defect affecting either the urinary tract or the genitals
- apnea: brief pauses in breathing that tend to occur in premature infants due to immaturity of the brain’s respiratory center
- respiratory problems related to prematurity
- airway abnormalities
- seizure disorders: due to dysfunction in the brain’s electrical activity
- metabolic disorders: problems involving the complex collection of chemical reactions that take place in the body's cells to convert nutrition into energy
Partnering With You to Offer Top-Quality Neonatology Care
Of course, we do more than just provide care for your baby — we make sure that you and your family are well taken care of, too. We’ll keep you fully informed — explaining your little one’s diagnosis and treatment in understandable terms, discussing any treatment options you might have, and inviting your family’s input for creating the treatment plan most appropriate for your baby.
We fully recognize that you, the family, play an important role in the care and healing process of your baby. We want you to be an active participant in the decision-making process. Our doctors and nurses will work hard to build a strong partnership with you for your baby’s care. And we’ll keep your primary care pediatrician fully up-to-date.
New JerseyCollaborating Hospital
Nemours duPont Pediatrics at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
111 South Eleventh Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
» Get Map & Directions
» Learn more about Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Phone: (215) 955-6000
To ask a question about our Neonatology care, please call us at (215) 955-6000. We promise to do whatever it takes to treat your baby as we would our own.
When Your Baby Needs the Expertise of Nemours Neonatologists
If your new baby has immediate medical or surgical needs, you can get expert medical care from a team of highly regarded Nemours newborn medicine specialists (neonatologists) near you, at Center City’s award-winning Thomas Jefferson University Hospital (TJU).
The neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at TJU is a Level III tertiary referral unit – the highest-level accreditation granted by the Pennsylvania Department of Health. To get top-rate neonatology expertise and the very latest neonatal medical technology, more than 500 very sick babies are brought to the NICU each and every year from various hospitals in southeastern Pennsylvania and the
To give you and your baby highly skilled, round-the-clock neonatal intensive care that’s convenient to you, the NICU at TJU features:
- in-house, board-certified Nemours neonatologists
- 40 neonatal intensive bassinets (where critically ill infants are continuously and closely monitored) and intermediate bassinets (for babies who are between intensive and basic care)
- state-of-the-art monitors and equipment
- excellent nurse-to-baby ratio
Our Nemours team works together with TJU’s own nurses, respiratory therapists, social workers, pharmacists, occupational and physical therapists, and more. We can also call on other pediatric subspecialists – including cardiologists (heart specialists), pulmonologists (lung specialists), neurologists (brain and nervous system specialists), and others — as needed, to give your baby the most comprehensive, coordinated care.
A specialized critical care transport team also is available to transfer babies from local hospitals to the NICU via ambulance or helicopter. And the NICU’s nurses have expertise in head cooling therapies (used to help reduce brain damage in newborns who haven’t received enough oxygen) and extracorporeal oxygenation (ECMO), which gives patients special cardiac (heart) and respiratory (breathing) support.
The NICU at TJU is also affiliated with the only methadone clinic in Philadelphia that cares for both infants and their families.
Nemours’ neonatology experts are available to you and other Philadelphia area families through a special collaborative affiliation with Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. TJU and Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children began collaborating in 1989 to further each of our respective missions of patient care, education, and research. In that time, Nemours duPont Pediatrics at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital has become the teaching arm of duPont Hospital for Children – training the pediatric health professionals of tomorrow.
Together, we’re stronger, more ready to meet the challenges of the changing health care environment, and better able to provide the highest quality pediatric care to children throughout the region.
We recognize the important role you and your family play in the healing process of your baby, so our whole NICU team is dedicated to providing full, open, understandable communication and building a strong doctor-parent relationship with you from the start.
No matter how long your baby's stay, please know that we’ll help make your family's experience as easy and stress-free as possible.