Learn about pediatric cancer, how it affects kids, and how you can help support The Endowed Chair in Childhood Cancer Research at Nemours Children’s Clinic, Jacksonville and Wolfson Children’s Hospital.
At Nemours, we promise to do whatever it takes to treat children as we would our own. When your child comes to Nemours, we know you’re placing your trust in us. This trust and our dedication to improving the health of your child is what inspires us to provide exceptional care and the most satisfying experience possible.
Stories: Patients and families share their experiences.
Quality & Safety: Learn how we track and measure the success of our care.
- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) Survival Rate
- Giving Even the Sickest Children the Best Chance at Life
Patient Satisfaction: See what families say about our care.
News & Recognition
- Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children Wins Research Grant From Hyundai Hope On Wheels
- Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children Again Ranked Among the Nation's Best
- Carper, Carney Announce $4.6 Million for Cancer Research
- Dr. Kolb Appointed to Children's Oncology Group Scientific Council
- Component of Turmeric Shows Promise in Brain Tumor Treatment
- Hyundai Hope On Wheels Awards $75,000 Hyundai Scholar Grant For Pediatric Cancer Program
- Hyundai Hope on Wheels Awards Nemours $100,000 Grant
- Jeremy P. Wilson Foundation Donates $20,000 to Nemours Cancer Research
- Joint Cancer Program of Nemours and Wolfson Children's Receives Achievement Award
- Nemours Receives Donation to Support Cancer Research
- Nemours Researchers Uncover New Evidence of Harmfulness of Secondhand Smoke
- Students Donate Art Work to Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children
Joint Cancer Program of Nemours and Wolfson Children's Receives Achievement Award
Jacksonville, FL — The joint Pediatric Cancer Program of Nemours Children’s Clinic, Jacksonville and Wolfson Children’s Hospital has received the prestigious Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons (ACS).
The Jacksonville-based program is the only one in Florida — and one of just two in the United States — to receive the award, out of 11 ACS-approved pediatric cancer centers nationwide.
The program includes inpatient and outpatient cancer care for children of all ages, from infants to young adults. Radiation oncology services are provided to pediatric patients by the Florida Radiation Oncology Group through the Baptist Cancer Institute and the University of Florida Proton Therapy Institute.
The award was received February 28, and is given to centers that achieve a commendation in all five of the American College of Surgeons’ standards of evaluation, including:
- cancer committee leadership
- cancer data management
- community outreach
- quality improvement
Last spring, the Pediatric Cancer Program of Nemours and Wolfson Children’s Hospital was one of only 11 programs in the nation granted three-year accreditation with commendation by the ACS Commission on cancer.
“Receiving the Outstanding Achievement Award is a fantastic achievement for the many members of our team who focus on providing children and adolescents with the best possible cancer care,” said Eric Sandler, MD, division chief of Hematology/Oncology at Nemours Children’s Clinic, Jacksonville.
“It is very gratifying to receive this level of recognition for the care provided to our patients and families,” said pediatric hematologist/oncologist Scott Bradfield, MD, section chief, Hematology/Oncology, for Wolfson Children’s Hospital, and Cancer Committee chair.
Also providing leadership are Tumor Registrar Johanna Haneline, and pediatric surgeon Dan Robie, MD, American College of Surgeons liaison physician.
“The physicians, nurses and staff of the Pediatric Cancer Program are to be commended for achieving this level of excellence,” said Jerry Bridgham, MD, chief medical officer, Wolfson Children’s Hospital. “The Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons further confirms the high quality of care children and families are receiving through the program.”
Accreditation by the ACS Commission on cancer is given only to those facilities that have voluntarily committed to providing the highest level of quality cancer care and that undergo a rigorous evaluation process and review of their performance. To maintain accreditation, facilities must undergo an on-site review every three years.
Receiving care at a Commission on cancer-accredited program ensures that a patient will have access to:
- comprehensive care, including a range of state-of-the-art services and equipment
- a multidisciplinary team approach to coordinate the best treatment options
- information about ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options
- access to cancer-related information, education and support
- a cancer registry that collects data on type and stage of cancers and treatment results and offers lifelong patient follow-up
- ongoing monitoring and improvement of care
“The close partnership between Nemours Children’s Clinic and Wolfson Children’s Hospital enables children and families to receive the highest quality care, in their own community,” said Michael D. Aubin, hospital president, Wolfson Children’s Hospital.
About Baptist Health
Baptist Health is a faith-based, mission-driven system comprised of Baptist Medical Center Downtown and Baptist Heart Hospital; Baptist Medical Center Beaches; Baptist Medical Center Nassau; Baptist Medical Center South; and Wolfson Children’s Hospital — Jacksonville’s only children’s hospital. All Baptist Health hospitals, along with Baptist Home Health Care, have achieved Magnet™ status, an international quality designation that recognizes excellence in patient care.
Baptist Health also includes cardiology and cardiovascular surgery services; a comprehensive cancer center; orthopaedic institute; women’s resource center; neurosciences, including neurosurgery and two Joint Commission-certified stroke centers; a full range of psychology and psychiatry services; outpatient facilities; urgent care services and a network of primary care physicians’ offices throughout Northeast Florida. Baptist Health is the official healthcare provider for the Jacksonville Jaguars. For more information, visit www.e-baptisthealth.com. For information on Wolfson Children’s Hospital, visit www.wolfsonchildrens.org.