View trusted insights from KidsHealth.org, the #1 most viewed health site for children, created by the experts at Nemours. We've also provided information from the most-respected
From Nemours' KidsHealth
- Looking at Your Newborn: What's Normal
- Growth Charts
- Your Child's Immunizations
- What Can I Do to Ease My Child's Fear of Shots?
- Immunization Schedule
- Medical Care and Your 4- to 7-Month-Old
- Failure to Thrive
- Medical Care and Your 1- to 3-Month-Old
- Common Cold
- Frequently Asked Questions About Immunizations
- Influenza (Flu)
- What's a Nurse Practitioner?
- How to Talk to Your Child's Doctor
- Growth and Your Newborn
- Medical Care and Your Newborn
- Medical Care and Your 8- to 12-Month-Old
- Medical Care and Your 1- to 2-Year-Old
- Finding a Doctor for Your New Baby
- Preparing Your Child for Visits to the Doctor
- Newborn Screening Tests
- The Risks of Postponing or Avoiding Vaccinations
- Your Child's Checkups
- Sports Physicals
Trusted External Resources
What Can I Do to Ease My Child's Fear of Shots?
There's nothing my son hates more than getting a shot. Is there anything I can do to lessen his fear?
Getting shots can be tough for both parents and kids, but their benefits are worth the effort.
Try taking your son's mind off the shots by bringing a favorite toy or book to the doctor's office. You might have him count, sing a song with you, or look away (maybe at a picture on the wall). You might even let him wear headphones and listen to his favorite song during the shot.
When feasible, try to do something fun after the appointment. A trip to the park or playground can make the overall immunization experience less unpleasant.
Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD
Date reviewed: October 2009
Have a question? Email us.
Although we can't reply personally, you may see your question posted to this page in the future. If you're looking for medical advice, a diagnosis, or treatment, consult your doctor or other qualified medical professional. If this is an emergency, contact emergency services in your area.