No one knows for sure what causes nighttime wetting, also called nocturnal enuresis, but bedwetting is usually a natural part of development, and most children grow out of it. However, enuresis — not being able to control peeing in the daytime or nighttime — can be a sign of another medical condition, especially if it begins abruptly or is accompanied by other symptoms. Then it may be time for your child to be seen by Nemours pediatric urologists who specialize in treating urologic problems in children.
Phone: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
The physicians in the Division of Pediatric Urology at Nemours Children’s Hospital are board certified in Urology and have additional subspecialty fellowship training and certification in pediatric urology. This means our urology specialists bring extensive knowledge and expertise to the management and treatment of your child’s urological condition, from simple to complex disorders involving the urinary tract or genitalia.
Perhaps most important of all, our pediatric urology team understands the unique needs of children and the concerns of parents. We take the time to answer all your questions, and to provide sensitive, compassionate care for your child.
Among the services we provide are:
- complete urologic assessment, including bedwetting
- pediatric gynecologic assessment
- reconstructive surgery of urinary tract or genitalia
- minimally invasive surgery
- reviews of voiding studies, voiding cystourethrogram (VCUG) (X-ray images of a the urinary system) ultrasounds and other radiologic studies
In addition to routine urologic care for children, we offer a variety of specialty need programs to help children through a variety of related problems. They include:
Our Stone Diagnostic and Management Center at Nemours Children’s Hospital offers a variety of minimally invasive techniques to manage and treat stones that develop in the bladder and kidney. Using minimally invasive endoscopic and endourologic techniques, we can diagnose and treat your child for stone disease without the need for open surgery. Working in collaboration with medical kidney specialists (nephrologists) at Nemours Children’s Hospital, we can identify the metabolic causes of why stones develop in children and provide an individualized treatment plan to prevent future stone formation.
Working in collaboration with physicians at the hospital’s Department of Pediatrics, our urologists provide a comprehensive bladder function program for children with bladder control issues, including incontinence (involuntary leakage of urine), and daytime or nighttime wetting (nocturnal or diurnal enuresis). The program combines urotherapy, medical, behavioral, and biofeedback therapies – all oriented for children, using video game therapy to teach about the bladder and the muscles that control urination.
We also participate in a multi-specialty clinic for children with Spina Bifida, myelomenigocele, and other spinal cord anomalies. Based at Arnold Palmer Hospital, the clinic gives children with these conditions access to a coordinated team of specialists – including orthopedists, nephrologists, gastroenterologists, neurosurgeons, and urologists – along with nurse managers, physical, occupational, and rehabilitation therapists who manage all of their medical needs in one place.
Disorders of Sexual Differentiation
We provide advanced multidisciplinary care for children with hypospadias, ambiguous genitalia, and other disorders of sexual differentiation. Because these issues often require more than a surgical solution, we treat these conditions in a multidisciplinary manner, coordinating with specialists in endocrinology and behavioral health when necessary.
Minimally invasive surgery program
Our pediatric urology specialists are experts in the use of minimally invasive techniques whenever possible. These include laparoscopic, robot-assisted, and single-site surgery, sometimes offering tiny incisions through the navel, to minimize scarring, promote healing, and speed the recovery process. We can often use these advanced techniques for children with a variety of common issues, including undescended testicle, ureteropelvic junction obstruction, vesicoureteral reflux, and complex kidney stone disease.
Nemours pediatric urologists perform a variety of state-of-the-art surgical interventions for urologic conditions, such as pyeloplasty (correction of kidney obstruction) in infants.
Other procedures include:
- hydrocele surgery and hernia repair
- hypospadias repair
- varicocele correction
- orchiectomy (removal of testis)
- orchidopexy (fastening of an undescended testis inside the scrotum)
- partial and total nephrectomy (kidney removal)
- bladder augmentation (increasing the size of the bladder)
- extrophy repair (closure of the bladder)
- genitor-urinary reconstructive surgery
- correction of disorders of sexual differentiation (ambiguous genitalia)
We offer special testing, including video fluoroscopic urodynamic testing and non-invasive uroflowmetry. We can also perform many surgical procedures in children by minimally invasive laparoscopic single port techniques, and robot-assisted surgery utilizing the DaVinci robot platform. Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) is performed through tiny incisions (keyhole surgery) that help reduce scarring and result in faster recovery times for kids.
Other benefits of minimally invasive surgery include:
- smaller incisions
- smaller scars
- faster healing time
- less pain
- shorter hospital stays
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
You’ll feel right at home in one of our private patient rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television is uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more, and allows your child to watch TV, surf the web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities, like:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café coffee shop
- non-denominational chapel
- concierge services
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image-guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state. Learn More »
- neuroradiological, cardiovascular, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) imaging: Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
If your child has a complex or chronic condition we encourage you to take advantage of KidsTRACK, a unique service of Nemours Children’s Hospital. Located on the 1st floor of our hospital, KidsTRACK is designed to help families cope by providing expert assistance and information on all aspects of your child’s care even before you leave our hospital or clinic.
A KidsTRACK care coordinator is available during every step of diagnosis, treatment, and healing — helping your family make a smooth transition from Nemours Children's Hospital to home. Your coordinator works alongside the nursing/case managers in our subspecialty areas and acts as a single point of contact connecting you to medical and community resources.
Simply ask your physician for a referral to KidsTRACK
or call (407) 650-7715.
You Can Talk to Us
When your child has a medical problem, you want to be able to clearly express what is wrong and to understand any explanations about your child's condition and treatment. This communication can be challenging if it involves bladder function or if English is not your first language.
That's why it's good to know Nemours physicians have the sensitivity and training to put parents and children at ease, making it easy to discuss all medical issues openly without fear or embarrassment. In addition, several of our urology team members and doctors are bilingual, and can speak with you in English or Spanish if you wish. Nemours Children's Hospital also provides translation services for other languages.