Urinary tract infections in children are fairly common and can affect the bladder or the kidney. If your child has a UTI, the infection will usually be treated with antibiotics to kill the bacteria causing the infection. Your doctor may refer your child for additional tests and an appointment with our Nemours pediatric urologists who specialize in treating both simple and complex urologic problems in children.
Phone: (321) 722-3616
Urology appointments are available once a month.
Please call ahead for dates and times.
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
After performing a physical exam and asking about symptoms, your child’s
primary care doctor will take a urine sample to check for and identify bacteria causing the infection.
Be sure to contact your doctor if your child has any of the following symptoms:
- persistent fever of unknown cause [100.4° Fahrenheit (38° Celsius) rectally in infants, or over 101° Fahrenheit (38.3° Celsius) in children]
- burning or pain when urinating
- frequent or urgent urination, and frequent urination at night
- strong-smelling, cloudy or bloody urine
- abdominal (especially below the navel), back or side pain
Sometimes, a fever is the only sign of a UTI.
Compassionate Care for Your Child's Condition
Nemours specialists in pediatric urology visit our Viera location, once a month, to provide care for infants, children, and teens with urological problems.
What We Offer in Pediatric Urology Care at Viera
As part of the area’s first and most experienced subspecialty fellowship trained pediatric urology program, our urologists bring extensive knowledge and expertise to the management and treatment of your child’s urological condition, from simple to complex disorders involving the urinary tract or genitalia.
In fact, our physicians are the only pediatric urologists in Central Florida who regularly perform robotic surgery and lecture throughout the country on advanced surgical techniques for urologic surgery.
Perhaps most important of all, our pediatric urology team understands the unique needs of children and the concerns of parents. We take the time to answer all your questions, and to provide sensitive, compassionate care for your child.