About the Program
Our high school volunteer program places students who are 16 years of age and older (by June 1 of their volunteer year) in departments throughout our specialty care locations. We offer both a summer program and a year-round student program.
Teen volunteers gain valuable experience, marketable skills and an appreciation for community service through our student programs. It must be kept top of mind that volunteering with children is still serious business. We hold the same performance standards for student volunteers that we do for adult ones. But if you want the chance to learn about health care careers, interact with pediatric patients and their families, or simply help others, this program provides excellent opportunities.
Summer Volunteer Program Open
This year's summer program is available until May 15. We will resume the application process for the year-round program in mid-July for students who wish to volunteer once school starts. Please check back for more details, and thank you for your interest in our summer volunteer program.
Phone: (904) 697-3400 to request your online volunteer application.
Office Phone: (904) 697-3517
Work Cell: (904) 838-3744
Address: 807 Children's Way, Jacksonville, FL 32207
How to Apply
All high school volunteers must:
- request an online application by contacting the Volunteer Services Department
- gain medical clearance including two tuberculosis tests, an immunization titer — or provide a shot record — an annual flu shot and a urine drug screening (screening costs covered by Nemours)
- clear background screenings, including — but not limited to — two personal references
- participate in an interview with the director of Volunteer Services
- attend an online orientation class and annual update training
- complete training to perform outstanding customer service to patients, their families and Associates
- make a commitment to serve at least 50 hours per year
- serve a four-hour shift once per week in a designated time slot
Year-round teen volunteers may apply in July for the fall school year. They may work no more than once a week after school and no later than 5 p.m. while school is in session. Teens may work more hours and days during school breaks and on teacher work days.
Summer teen volunteers must email or call to request an online application between January 2–April 1. Teens must be at least 16 years old by June 1 (of their volunteer year). Early application is strongly recommended as our program fills up quickly. Check the website for updates regarding when the summer program is full.
- have consistent patience interacting with children from birth to age 16, as well as with their siblings and parents
- be able to speak and understand English
- be willing to learn the skills necessary to be competent in their duties and responsibilities
Becoming a Nemours volunteer allows you to:
- explore career opportunities
- contribute to your community
- meet new and interesting people
- gain invaluable learning experiences, as well as references and recommendations
- receive a free annual flu vaccine
- receive free parking and a free meal in the cafeteria
- be recognized for your service hours