Nemours BrightStart! has developed programs and curricula that have been field tested with thousands of pre-kindergarteners at risk of reading failure. They have proven highly effective in building alphabet knowledge and phonological awareness skills that support future reading success. Plus, they are the perfect enhancement to any pre-kindergarten or kindergarten program — especially those serving at-risk learners.
Programs & Curricula
Nemours BrightStart! has formed a relationship with Kaplan Early Learning Company, a leading international provider of products and services that enhance children’s learning, to carry Nemours BrightStart! programs and products throughout the U.S. and internationally.
Nemours BrightStart! The Complete Program for Early Literacy Success
Nemours BrightStart! The Complete Program for Early Literacy Success puts teachers on the leading edge of early literacy best practices with an exciting new approach to building reading readiness skills in struggling learners.
This unique program is specifically designed for teaching early literacy skills to small groups of at-risk 4- and 5-year-old children. However, it is an effective teaching tool for all children in that age range.
This exciting program supports Response to Intervention (RTI) in the classroom. The Nemours BrightStart! curriculum is the perfect solution for Tier Two instruction for struggling readers.
Nemours BrightStart! Program includes:
- Lesson Plans Kit
- Book Set
- Manipulatives Kit
- Milestone Map
- Download Technical Manual (PDF)
Includes research outcomes of cluster randomized studies on
Each manipulative in this kit ties directly to one or more lessons in the Nemours BrightStart! Program — helping children learn with fun, motivating, and developmentally-appropriate activities.
The kit includes:
- magnetic whiteboards
- magnifying glasses
- magnetic letters
- craft sticks
- music CDs
- other items that promote literacy
in the early years
The children’s books featured in this set are necessary to complete the Read Aloud selections in the Nemours BrightStart! The Complete Program for Early Literacy Success.
The set includes:
- I Read Signs
- On the Go
- If You Give a Pig a Party
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
- Down on the Farm
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Time for School, Mouse!
- Big Fat Hen
- Hungry Thing
- Dinosaur Roar
- The Pet Vet
- Good Thing You’re Not An Octopus
- Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
- Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?
This full-color illustrated poster addresses parents' and educators' concerns about children's reading readiness and progress.
It includes milestones and warning signs indicating when children may be at risk for reading challenges from birth to age 6.
By tracking along with this simple map, parents and educators can be sure children are keeping up with their peers and intercede if they begin to notice warning signs.
Available in English and Spanish.
Parent's Guide to Reading Readiness
This essential book for parents includes:
- checklist of reading readiness skills
- lists of books to read with children
- fun ideas to do at home to prepare
children to read
- and much more!
Available in English and Spanish, this is a great complement to high-quality classroom instruction.
Training and Professional Development
Our unique “live” professional development offerings are designed to assist you in supporting each child’s reach for full potential through literacy success.
Trainings are designed incorporating research-based adult learning techniques to help you get the most out of the experience and use what you learn
- Overview of Nemours BrightStart!
- Training for the Nemours BrightStart! The Complete Program
for Early Literacy Success, Level One
- Enhancing the Literacy Center
- Reading Aloud to Young Children
- Emergent Writing
- Dyslexia 101
- Basics of Multisensory Instruction
- Phonological and Phonemic Awareness
We add new topics on a regular basis and also will consider special requests. Please call us at (877) 878-3118 for more information.
Level II Nemours BrightStart! The Complete Program for Early Literacy Success.
Information will be available soon.
Nemours BrightStart! has partnered with Smart Horizons, a leader in the creation and delivery of innovative online training solutions, to host our workshops and courses, continuing education, and other resources for educators.
Additional Online Resources
- Center for Response to Intervention in Early Childhood
- Division for Early Childhood (Council for Exceptional Children)
- Get Ready to Read!
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Reading Association
- National Council of Teachers of English: On Reading, Learning to Read, and Effective Reading Instruction
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Institute for Early Education Research
- Pre-K Now
- Reading Rockets