Nearly one-third of kids in America are overweight or obese. As an educator, you have a powerful opportunity to inspire kids to make healthy food choices that could help prevent childhood obesity from the start.
As children’s bodies and brains develop, they can form unhealthy food preferences and habits that are hard to break. That’s why Nemours collaborated with First Lady Michelle Obama’s initiative Let’s Move! Child Care, a nationwide call-to-action that empowers child care providers to make positive health changes in children that could last a lifetime. The site offers tools, support, and information to help kids make healthier choices.
Nemours Florida Prevention Initiative
Children Can Have Fun While Learning About Healthy Eating
Early childhood is a period when children learn lifelong habits. Nemours Florida Prevention Initiative partners with early childhood experts to provide interactive ways for child care providers to teach healthy eating and physical activity to children.
Healthy Eating for Kids Resources
See a variety of printouts and links to more resources to help you and your child make healthy eating choice every day.
Nemours Resources for Child Care
- Nemours Child Care Wellness Policy Workbook (PDF)
Guides you step-by-step to develop your own individualized wellness policies on nutrition and physical activity.
- "Sometimes/Anytime" Game Cards (PDF): Instructions | Game Cards
Designed to help pre-school children learn to differentiate foods and activities that can be eaten or done “Sometimes” or “Anytime" (Note: instructions and flash cards included in PDF).
- Sesame Workshop “Healthy Habits for Life” Child Care Resource Kit (PDF)
Provides tools to teach kids about physical activity.
- How Four Child Care Programs Made Positive Changes in Their Environments
- Growing, Moving, Learning: Infant Toddler Toolkit
- Best Practices for Healthy Eating Guide
- Healthy Vending Guide (PDF): ways to support healthy eating by implementing healthy vending machine options
- Healthy Concesstions Guide (PDF): ideas to make your concession offerings more healthy for kids and families
- Team Nutrition: a comprehensive plan from the USDA to promote the nutritional health of children, involving schools, parents, and the community
- School Nutrition Association: browse local school wellness policies
- Recipe Finder: a comprehensive food database of healthy and affordable breakfast, lunch, and snack ideas for your students from the USDA