At Nemours, we promise to do whatever it takes to treat children as we would our own. When your child comes to Nemours, we know you’re placing your trust in us. This trust and our dedication to improving the health of your child is what inspires us to provide exceptional care and the most satisfying experience possible.
Stories: Patients and families share their experiences.
Quality & Safety: Learn how we track and measure the success of our care.
Patient Satisfaction: See what families say about our care.
News & Recognition
- All Asthma Clinical Trials in Jacksonville
- Effect of Positive Airway Pressure on Reducing Airway Reactivity in Patients With Asthma (CPAP)
- Obesity & Asthma: Genetics and Nutrigenetic Response to Omega-3 Fatty Acids (GenOA/NOOA)
- Long-Acting Beta Agonist Step Down Study (LASST)
- Molecular Phenotyping of Asthma in Sickle Cell Disease (MoP-ASC)
- Role of Regulator T-Cell Function in Asthma Severity of Obese Children (Treg)
Long-Acting Beta Agonist Step Down Study (LASST)
Clinical Trial at Nemours Children's Clinic, Jacksonville
What is the study about?
We want to find the best way to decrease the amount of asthma medicine children with asthma take and still be well controlled.
Who can participate?
We are recruiting patients who:
- are between the ages of 12 and 17 years
- have moderate to severe asthma currently under good control
- take medium dose combination asthma medication (e.g., Advair Diskus, Symbicort , Dulera, Flovent, Asthmanex, Qvar, Alvesco, or Pulmicort with Serevent or Foradil)
What is involved?
Participants who meet criteria will be randomly (like roll of the dice) put in one of 3 treatment groups:
- continuation of Advair 250/50 mcg twice daily
- reduced dose Advair Diskus 100/50 mcg twice daily
- Flovent alone 250 mcg twice daily (without Salmeterol)
Treatment will last approximately 48 weeks with 8 clinic visits every 6 weeks, and one follow-up phone call after random placement in a treatment group.
What is the time commitment?
Participants will require 12 total clinic visits and one phone call over 56 weeks. Study visits range from 2 to 4 hours each.
What are the costs of being in this study?
There are no costs involved in the study.
Will I be compensated for my time?
Participants can receive up to $825 for time and travel for completing all study visits and testing.
Phone: (904) 697-3925
Study Name to Reference When Calling: LASST Study
For questions regarding the rights of research patients,
call the Nemours Office of Human Subjects Protection: (904) 697-4023.