Clinic Location: 4th Floor
Phone: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
The doctors, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, and respiratory therapists at Nemours Children’s Hospital are a specially trained multidisciplinary team that provides care and treatment for asthma in children. Our pulmonologists (lung specialists) can make an initial diagnosis of asthma, and give your child and family the tools needed to successfully manage the disease.
Our Childhood Asthma Treatment Center
The correct care plan can improve your child’s quality of life so we strive to minimize the side effects of asthma medications, prescribing the least amount of medication needed to control symptoms and prevent asthma flare-ups. We will also address any underlying medical conditions that may contribute to your
- If your child has mild to moderate asthma, we’ll work toward keeping him or her symptom-free and able to participate in sports and other activities.
- If your child’s asthma is moderate to severe, our goals are to help avoid the need for hospitalization and to help your child develop consistent habits for managing the condition. These include taking medications as prescribed
and sticking to a personalized treatment plan (also known as an “asthma action plan”).
Communication is important, and we work to build close relationships with our patients and families. All of your child’s Nemours caregivers, and many primary care doctors, will have “real-time” access to information about your child’s asthma management plan and any medical care your child receives through our secure electronic medical record system, NemoursOne.
Although we work with children and families to avoid asthma emergencies, they can and sometimes do occur. It’s comforting to know the Emergency Department at Nemours Children’s Hospital has the equipment and trained staff to treat your child for any type of asthma attack at any hour.
In the Emergency Department, or if your child requires a stay in the hospital, we have educational tools available at the bedside to help you and your child gain a better understanding of the condition and how to manage it. Nemours’ KidsHealth and the GetWellNetwork have developed a 14-part series of 4- to 5-minute videos on asthma, covering topics from “What Is Asthma?” to “Asthma Triggers” to “Your Child’s Asthma Action Plan.”
More Hospital Services & Amenities
You’ll feel right at home in one of our private patient rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television is uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more, and allows your child to watch TV, surf the web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities, like:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café coffee shop
- non-denominational chapel
- concierge services
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image-guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- neuroradiological, cardiovascular, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) imaging: Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
If your child has a complex or chronic condition we encourage you to take advantage of KidsTRACK, a unique service of Nemours Children’s Hospital. Located on the 1st floor of our hospital, KidsTRACK is designed to help families cope by providing expert assistance and information on all aspects of your child’s care even before you leave our hospital or clinic.
A KidsTRACK care coordinator is available during every step of diagnosis, treatment, and healing — helping your family make a smooth transition from Nemours Children's Hospital to home. Your coordinator works alongside the nursing/case managers in our subspecialty areas and acts as a single point of contact connecting you to medical and community resources.
Simply ask your physician for a referral to KidsTRACK
or call (407) 650-7715.