View trusted insights from KidsHealth.org, the No. 1 most viewed health site for children, created by the experts at Nemours. We've also provided information from the most-respected non-profit organizations.
From Nemours' KidsHealth
- Talking to Your Child About Drugs
- Disciplining Your Child
- Teaching Your Child Self-Control
- What Is ADHD?
- Your Child's Habits
- Helping Kids Deal With Bullies
- Kids and Alcohol
- Taking Your Child to a Therapist
- About Teen Suicide
- Drugs: What Parents Need to Know
- Disciplining Your Toddler
- Marijuana: What Parents Need to Know
- Cyberbullying: New Problems, New Tactics
- The Rise of Psychiatric Diagnoses in Younger Kids
- Teaching Kids Not to Bully
- Helping Teens Who Cut
- Helping Kids Cope With Cliques
- Cough and Cold Medicine Abuse
- How Can I Help My Child Overcome Shyness?
- Could ADHD Be Hereditary?
- Does Ritalin Have Side Effects?
- Taming Tempers
- Connecting With Your Preteen
- 5 Ways to Bully-Proof Your Kid
Trusted External Resources
Drugs: What Parents Need to Know
Few parents ever imagine that their child will grow up to do drugs, but drug usage among kids and teens is a stark reality. Drugs are everywhere — from big cities to small towns — and are used by people of all ages, races, and economic means.
Knowing what drugs are available, what they can do, and how they can affect someone is the first step in raising drug-free kids. The second step — and probably most important — is to talk to your child early and often about the dangers of drugs.
Click below to learn about some common drugs: