View trusted insights from KidsHealth.org, the No. 1 most viewed health site for children, created by the experts at Nemours. We've also provided information from the most-respected non-profit organizations.
From Nemours' KidsHealth
- 5 Ways to Bully-Proof Your Kid
- Cyberbullying: New Problems, New Tactics
- The Rise of Psychiatric Diagnoses in Younger Kids
- Marijuana: What Parents Need to Know
- Drugs: What Parents Need to Know
- Does Ritalin Have Side Effects?
- How Can I Help My Child Overcome Shyness?
- Cough and Cold Medicine Abuse
- Could ADHD Be Hereditary?
- Taming Tempers
- Connecting With Your Preteen
- Helping Kids Cope With Cliques
- Helping Teens Who Cut
- Teaching Kids Not to Bully
- Disciplining Your Toddler
- Disciplining Your Child
- Teaching Your Child Self-Control
- What Is ADHD?
- Your Child's Habits
- Talking to Your Child About Drugs
- Taking Your Child to a Therapist
- About Teen Suicide
- Helping Kids Deal With Bullies
- Kids and Alcohol
Trusted External Resources
Drugs: What Parents Need to Know
Few parents ever imagine that their child will grow up to do drugs, but drug usage among kids and teens is a stark reality. Drugs are everywhere — from big cities to small towns — and are used by people of all ages, races, and economic means.
Knowing what drugs are available, what they can do, and how they can affect someone is the first step in raising drug-free kids. The second step — and probably most important — is to talk to your child early and often about the dangers of drugs.
Click below to learn about some common drugs: