View trusted insights from KidsHealth.org, the No. 1 most-viewed health site for children, created by the experts at Nemours. We've also provided information from the most-respected nonprofit organizations.
From Nemours' KidsHealth
- ADHD Special Needs Factsheet
- Kids and Alcohol
- What Is ADHD?
- 504 Education Plans
- Autism Special Needs Factsheet
- Anxiety, Fears, and Phobias
- Anxiety Disorders Special Needs Factsheet
- Helping Kids Cope With Cliques
- Cough and Cold Medicine Abuse
- Teaching Kids Not to Bully
- Taming Tempers
- Disciplining Your Toddler
- 5 Ways to Bully-Proof Your Kid
- Helping Kids Deal With Bullies
- Individualized Education Programs (IEPs)
- Cutting Special Needs Factsheet
- Drugs: What Parents Need to Know
- Disciplining Your Child
- Marijuana: What Parents Need to Know
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder Special Needs Factsheet
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Special Needs Factsheet
- A to Z: Panic Disorder
- Eating Disorders
- How Can I Help My Child Overcome Shyness?
- My Child Is Stealing
- Separation Anxiety
- Teaching Your Child Self-Control
- Developing Your Child's Self-Esteem
- Your Child's Habits
- Taking Your Child to a Therapist
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Special Needs Factsheet
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Does Ritalin Have Side Effects?
- Connecting With Your Preteen
- Helping Teens Who Cut
- Could ADHD Be Hereditary?
- Talking to Your Child About Drugs
- Social Phobia Special Needs Factsheet
- Temper Tantrums
- Childhood Stress
- About Teen Suicide
Trusted External Resources
Does Ritalin Have Side Effects?
My child has just been diagnosed with ADHD, and the doctor put him on Ritalin. Are there any side effects I should be concerned about?
Ritalin is just one of many medications doctors use to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Ritalin, also known as methylphenidate, works by allowing kids with ADHD to concentrate and focus at school and at home.
As with other psychostimulants, each child can respond somewhat differently. Many kids using Ritalin have few, if any, side effects. Others experience side effects like stomachaches, insomnia, decreased appetite, growth problems, irritability, and blood pressure problems.
To learn more about ADHD, various treatments, and possible side effects, talk to your doctor.
Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD
Date reviewed: August 11, 2016