Chief of Cardiology Samuel Gidding, MD, checks on Casey’s heart.
At the Nemours Cardiac Center, we know that it’s often the tiniest hearts that need the most help — from the start. So we’ve assembled some of the country’s very best pediatric cardiac expertise and technology. And everyone on our care team works only with children with heart conditions, so you’ll know your child is being treated by true specialists.
Our Nemours Cardiac Center care team brings together expertise:
- board-certified pediatric cardiac surgeons and transplant experts
- board-certified pediatric cardiologists (children’s heart doctors) — including interventional cardiologists (doctors who repair heart problems without surgery) and electrophysiology cardiologists (doctors who evaluate and treat abnormal heart rhythms)
- board-certified pediatric cardiac anesthesiologists
- pediatric critical care experts
- nurses and nurse specialists
- social workers
Our cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons are members of the academic faculty of Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia — teaching the physicians of tomorrow. We’ve pioneered advances in pediatric cardiovascular care and preventive cardiology. And we’re active in publishing and presenting throughout the country and the world.
Our team also works closely with any other specialists your child may need, like gastroenterologists and registered dietitians. We’ll also take care of details like critical care transport from other health care facilities, insurance, and financial arrangements. And we’ll keep your primary care physician or pediatrician fully up-to-date at all times.
The Nemours Cardiac Center is a state-of-the-art, multidisciplinary center located within the Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children.
Our Nemours Cardiac Center features a dedicated, state-of-the-art digital cardiac catheterization lab.
Our pediatric cardiac center features:
- 14-bed cardiac intensive care unit (CICU), with a full complement of specialists and sophisticated equipment to monitor your child and adjust treatment at all times
- 18-bed nursing unit for children who require less intensive care, with private rooms equipped to create a home away from home and to accommodate one parent rooming in with their child at all times
- our own operating room, used exclusively for pediatric cardiac surgery
- digital cardiac catheterization and electrophysiology suite
Every phase of our pediatric cardiac treatment and hospitalization is intended to keep you with your child — and to take some of the anxiety and fear out of the evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation process. Our vibrant, kid-friendly rooms are designed to make you and your child feel right at home. For your little one’s comfort, each patient room features a private bathroom, bulletin board to display cards or artwork, telephone, TV, and DVD player.
Our Cardiac Center rooms also have full beds so you can be available, day and night, when your child needs you the most.
After all, no one knows your child better than you. That’s why we believe in a strong doctor-parent partnership and offering “family-centered care.” That just means we want you to be an active participant in the decision-making process. And we’ll take the time to explain the diagnosis and treatment in understandable terms, present all of the options, invite your family’s input for creating the right treatment plan for your child, and encourage you to stay by your child’s side as much as possible.
Families also appreciate our convenient location and beautiful grounds at duPont Hospital for Children – located in a park-like setting of huge oaks and inviting green lawns.
You’ll also find:
- free valet parking
- kid-friendly waiting areas
- little red wagons (available for escorting your young children)
- gift shop
- café and cafeteria
- on-site pharmacy
- Family Resource Center (with laundry facilities, showers, kitchenettes, library, business center, and three sleep rooms with a full-sized bed)