We understand that the dermatologic needs of children can be quite different from those of adults. Our doctors are trained in pediatric dermatology to offer a full range of care for kids with a variety of disorders that affect the skin, hair, and nails. We’re committed to educating families about their diagnoses and available treatment options, as well as about their long-term skin health.
Pediatric Dermatology Conditions Often Seen in Children:
- atopic dermatitis (eczema), a common hereditary condition that causes chronic dry skin and an itchy scaly rash
- contact dermatitis (caused by direct skin contact with an irritating substance)
- birthmarks (discolored or raised areas of skin noted shortly after birth)
- hemangiomas and port wine stains (types of birthmarks)
- nevi (moles), caused by pigment producing cells
- infections of the skin
- vitiligo (smooth white spots or patches on the skin)
- psoriasis (a chronic disease that causes parts of the skin to become scaly and inflamed)
- hair loss
- nail disorders (related to infection or other body system disorders)
- genetic and body system disorders that include skin problems, such as neurofibromatosis (which causes tumors to grow beneath the skin)
At Nemours, our pediatric dermatology teams also places a lot of emphasis on teaching children about sun safety because research shows that good sun protection habits established during childhood can help prevent skin cancers later in life.