Abdominal pain in childhood is as predictable as loose teeth and skinned knees. But when digestive problems start interfering with your child’s life, it’s time to talk to your primary care doctor about a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist. At Nemours, our board-certified doctors evaluate, diagnose and treat a variety of conditions in pediatric gastroenterology or “pediatric GI.”
Pediatric GI Conditions We Treat
- abdominal pain
- allergic diseases of the gastrointestinal system
- celiac disease (intolerance to gluten protein)
- diseases of the liver or pancreas
- disorders affecting nutrient absorption (also called malabsorption)
- feeding disorders
- feeding intolerance requiring feeding tube placement (when a tube is inserted to deliver nutrition directly to the stomach via the nose — called a nasogastric, or NG tube — or through an opening in the abdomen — called a gastrostomy, or G tube)
- foreign body removal in the gastrointestinal tract
- gallbladder disease
- gastroesophageal reflux disease (also called GERD or heartburn)
- gastrointestinal bleeding
- inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- intestinal failure
- liver disease requiring transplantation
- motility disorders (slow or rapid movement of the stomach or intestines)
- pancreatic disease
- recurrent diarrhea
- recurrent vomiting
- short gut (also called short bowel syndrome)
Integrated Specialty Care for Pediatric Digestive Disorders
We have specialty programs dedicated to the care of children with specific chronic pediatric GI conditions. These clinics allow for a Nemours pediatric gastroenterologist to work alongside other pediatric specialists, nurse practitioners, licensed clinical social workers and registered dietitians in a child-centered environment.
Hours: Hours vary; call to schedule an appointment.
For Appointments: (800) 416-4441
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Registration (PDF)
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Deptford is conveniently located on Almonesson Road near the Deptford Mall. Our state-of-the-art facility offers a full range of clinical and therapy services, in addition to an ambulatory (outpatient) surgery center and onsite imaging.
At Nemours, we recognize the importance of the family in the care and healing process. We understand that no one knows your child better than you do — and that you’re one of the most important members of your child’s care team. That’s why we make every effort to include you in the process and to create a close relationship built on mutual respect, collaboration and education.
To ensure everyone is on the same page (including your primary care provider or pediatrician) your entire medical care team has access to our award-winning electronic health record system that keeps track of every visit, every test result and every procedure at Nemours.
And you can access select parts of your child’s health record through MyNemours, our secure portal that allows you to interact with your care providers and request prescription refills online, anytime.