Symptoms of some infectious diseases in children (like a fever that lasts too long) can not only be puzzling to you, but to your child’s primary care doctor, too. Nemours’ team of pediatric specialists is there to help uncover the cause of your child’s symptoms. We create a management plan for all infectious diseases in children, which means we work with your child's doctor to ensure the condition will be well-monitored and managed.
The first sign of infectious diseases in children can be a fever or feeling unwell. However, it might be more severe, longer-lasting, or show unusual symptoms that are confusing to you and your child’s doctor.
Common infectious diseases in children we evaluate:
- MRSA (a contagious staph bacteria)
- Chronic or recurrent infections
- Pediatric HIV/AIDS
- Perinatal exposure to HIV (that is, exposure to the virus around the time of birth)
- Unusual bacterial, fungal, or viral infections
- Unexplained fever
- Lyme disease
- Infectious mononucleosis
- Bone and joint infections
- Kawasaki disease
- Rheumatic fever
- Infections in patients whose immune systems are not fully functioning