When your child is hospitalized, you want to understand exactly what’s happening and know that your child is in good hands. If your child needs to stay in the hospital, Nemours’ board-certified pediatric hospitalists and inpatient hospital care nurses are here to manage your child’s inpatient hospital care from admission through discharge.
Different from primary care physicians or pediatric specialists who have private practices and admitting privileges at various hospitals, pediatric hospitalists are completely devoted to caring for hospitalized infants, children and teens 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Pediatric hospitalists coordinate your child’s care and share information, treatment plans and results using the latest in electronic health record technology. Working closely with you and your child’s specialists, our inpatient hospital care teams are here to help your child get back home as soon as possible.
Nemours Pediatric Hospitalists
During your child’s hospital stay, a Nemours pediatric hospitalist may serve as your child’s “attending physician” overseeing your child’s care, while also providing careful coordination of services and communication with your referring or primary care physician, as well as any other specialists your child may need.
Nemours' pediatric hospitalists and hospital care nurses treat hospitalized children with medical problems associated with chronic (ongoing) conditions and illnesses such as:
- gastroenteritis (a virus that’s also called the “stomach flu”)
- infections (cellulitis, pneumonia or kidney infections)
- unexplained abdominal pain
- persistent headaches
Here When and Where You Need Us
Our pediatric hospitalists are on staff at the Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Del., and Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando. And, thanks to partnerships with hospitals in major cities in Florida, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, you can get the same Nemours specialty pediatric hospital care closer to home.
Phone: (484) 337-3000
Nemours’ pediatric hospitalists offer full-time care in the specialized inpatient pediatric unit at Nemours duPont Pediatrics at Bryn Mawr Hospital. We collaborate with your child’s primary care physician, providing ongoing pediatric hospital care and communication with specialists, nurses, social workers, and other health care providers your child may see during a hospital stay.
Available around-the-clock, we may serve as the attending physician (overseeing your child’s care) or coordinate care with your attending physician or pediatric specialist. No matter how common or complex the medical condition, we’re prepared to:
- evaluate and treat pediatric emergencies
- keep your primary care physician informed during and after your stay
- provide newborn examinations
- help you identify a primary care physician if you don’t have one
- care for our littlest patients in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- consult with pediatric specialists in more than 30 medical specialties from Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children
- coordinate follow-up outpatient care, if needed, with our specialists at the Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations and duPont Hospital for Children.
- arrange for critical care transport (by ambulance and helicopter) to duPont Hospital for Children for kids who need immediate access to more
Whatever brings your child to us for an overnight stay (or many), know that we do whatever it takes to give you and your child top-quality, coordinated inpatient hospital care from the time you check in until you’re ready to head back home.