Adjusting to life with diabetes is manageable, and children with juvenile diabetes (Type 1) or Type 2 diabetes can do everything other kids without diabetes can. Our comprehensive program for children with diabetes includes the total care experience. From diagnosis to providing education and support, we will help your child get into the habit of managing their disease each day without missing a beat at being a kid.
When your child has a condition like Type 1 diabetes (previously called juvenile diabetes) or Type 2, it can affect your entire family’s routines, schedules, and even meal planning.
Our Nemours board-certified pediatric endocrinologists are specially trained in helping families learn to successfully manage both juvenile diabetes and Type 2 diabetes. Our teams of experts — including certified diabetes educators, advanced registered nurse practitioners, registered dietitians, licensed clinical social workers, and others — will provide the tools, a personalized treatment plan for your child, and ongoing education and support you need to help ensure your child maintains a healthy lifestyle.
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
Phone: (407) 650-7210
Fax: (407) 650-7211
Email: (for routine blood sugar records and non-urgent questions): firstname.lastname@example.org
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
When your child is diagnosed with Type 1 (sometimes called juvenile diabetes) or Type 2 diabetes, we know it can make you feel anxious about what lies ahead. There will be changes that will affect you and your child, but with the help of our team of board certified pediatric endocrinologists and other diabetes experts in the Division of Endocrinology at Nemours Children's Specialty Care, Lake Mary, you won’t have to go through it alone.
Working in collaboration with Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Orlando, our pediatric endocrinologists, nurses, certified diabetes educators, registered advanced nurse practitioners, registered dietitians, mental health counselors, and social workers, care for infants, kids and teens diagnosed with both juvenile diabetes and Type 2 diabetes throughout Central Florida. We have the experience and resources to assess your child’s condition, diagnose the problem and develop a treatment plan that works best for your child.
Helping Your Child Adjust to Life With Diabetes
Our multidisciplinary pediatric diabetes program utilizes a family-based team approach to help your child journey from a childhood unlimited by diabetes to a productive, healthy adulthood.
Even though diabetes will bring some changes to your child’s life, we’ll help your child learn how to make certain adjustments so that living with diabetes doesn’t affect much of their activities or routine.
With guidance from our juvenile and Type 2 diabetes experts, your child will soon feel comfortable with the diabetes routine, learning what’s normal for their blood sugar levels.
Also, in addition to our ongoing care and support, you and your child will have access to diabetes resources from the American Diabetes Association and other respected sources, to assist you and others who care for your child when you’re not around.
Once your child is diagnosed with diabetes, our goal is to help you and your child succeed in managing diabetes. At each visit, you and your child will meet with a pediatric endocrinologist, nurse educator, dietitian, and a member of our behavioral pediatric staff.
We will work with your family and your child to develop a treatment plan that fits your child’s needs. This multi-disciplinary, patient-centered approach ensures your child has the opportunity to receive a multitude of resources from our diabetes experts.
Along with ongoing care, we’ll give you diabetes resources from the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and other respected sources, to help you and others who care for your child when you’re not around know how to manage your child’s diabetes, too. You and your child will learn the basics of what it takes to successfully manage juvenile diabetes.
In addition to your child’s initial diabetes education and follow-up appointments, we offer:
- in-office hemoglobin A1c testing
- access to 24-hour, on-call support for diabetes emergencies
- convenient blood sugar reporting by email, fax, or phone
- inpatient and outpatient diagnostic and therapeutic services
- information about the latest technologies and treatments
- individualized diabetes education from American Diabetes Association-accredited programs
- nutrition and weight management counseling
- links to support groups for children with diabetes and their families
- access to other Nemours specialists if needed to care for your child’s condition
At Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Orlando, we offer children with diabetes and their families several cutting-edge treatment therapies such as:
Insulin Pump Therapy
A microcomputer designed to provide a constant supply of insulin, mimicking the job of the pancreas. It’s convenient, flexible, and accurate, but requires extensive training to learn how to use it properly and to prevent complications. To be considered for insulin pump therapy, your child must be evaluated by the diabetes team and attend several educational classes before and after an insulin pump is ordered.
Continuous Glucose Monitoring and I-Pro Devices
Similar in size to a pager, these devices require a small “sensor” inserted in the skin which measures blood sugars nearly continuously. They provide:
- “real-time” glucose readings
- alarms when blood sugar is approaching dangerously high or low levels
- information about blood glucose trends
- Boggy Creek Camps
- Florida Diabetes Camp
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Carbohydrate Counting classes
- Healthy Lifestyle classes
- Annual Diabetes Transition Class: Held in the Spring, this class is designed for older children transitioning to an adult provider, and provides resource information such as:
- adult endocrinologists
- managing supplies and medications
- college or other secondary school
- diabetes and employment
- driving, traveling
- meal planning
- alcohol and the effects on diabetes
- complications and how to avoid them and more
Center of Excellence
The Pediatric Diabetes Education Program at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Orlando, is one of only a few in Florida accredited as a Center of Excellence by the American Diabetes Association – making us the first pediatric program in Central Florida to have achieved such an award, and only the second pediatric-specific program in Florida. This recognition means our pediatric diabetes educators are providing high-quality information and care to children with diabetes and support to their families.