Location: 3rd Floor
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, we offer comprehensive, compassionate, around-the-clock neonatology care in our technologically advanced Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Here for you and your little one right from the very start, our NICU environment truly recognizes the important role you play in the care and healing process of your baby.
Our neonatologists, hailing from highly-recognized hospitals with NICU programs named among the very best in the nation, are committed to making you an integral member of the care team. And every detail, from the private NICU patient rooms (with spacious family living spaces) to the family-centered support services and resources we offer, was designed by families, for families just like yours.
When your newborn comes to Nemours Children’s Hospital (NCH), you can rest assured that you’re getting high-quality care, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Your baby is under the care of a team of neonatology experts, including:
- neonatologists who are specifically trained and board certified in neonatology
- neonatal nurse practitioners
- registered nurses specializing in critical care
- pediatric and subspecialty surgeons
- other pediatric subspecialists
Together, we care for newborns and infants with a wide variety of medical and surgical conditions.
If your newborn needs to be transported from other hospitals to our NICU, our specialized Nemours Critical Care Transport team provides infants with safe, urgent transfer. We have the capability to accept helicopter and ambulance transfers from hospitals throughout the region.
NCH has employed some of the most advanced technologies available to keep your baby safe. We use special security bands and a computer monitoring system so we always know where your precious baby is at
What’s more, our neonatologists, physicians, and nurses use highly-secure medical communication devices, via smart phone text technology, to stay in touch. This means your NICU team is in minute-to-minute contact, continuously updating each other on your baby’s status and special needs.
What To Expect At Our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Our NICU is a Level II and IIIc referral center, which means we care for newborns and infants up to 2 months old who require surgery or medical services from our expert neonatology subspecialists.
We have many services readily available, like:
- respiratory therapy
- physical therapy
- laboratory services
- feeding therapy/nutrition
- hearing assessments
- EEG (brain activity monitoring)
- EKG (heart monitoring)
- social work
- pastoral care
- Child Life specialists
We also offer KidsTRACK, a family-centered support service to help families coordinate multiple specialist appointments, research medical information, find public resources, and learn about caring for a new baby.
Our NICU is truly a model of family-centered care. It was designed with input from families who understand what it’s like to have a child in the hospital, so you have everything you need, all in one place.
You can stay with your baby in privacy and comfort in one of our large single-patient rooms with sleeping accommodations for parents and a spacious bathroom, wireless internet access, and flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light (with sun shades and window blackout shades)
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- mobile desk/dining table for in-room family dining and working
- wardrobe storage for personal items, and hotel-style safe
- bathroom basin sink designed for bathing baby
- toddler tubs available in some spaces
- sound-absorbent flooring and walls
- soft lighting to create a calm, restful environment
We also offer a number of double rooms for families with twins so everyone can stay together when it matters most.
Along with expert neonatology care, we’ve created a lovely “hospital within a garden” environment that provides healing of body, mind, and spirit. With beautiful green lawns and mature trees, there are many places for you and your family to go for restful rejuvenation and respite, including our one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of the rooftop gardens on the 2nd and 4th floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities, like:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café & coffee shop
- non-denominational chapel
- concierge services
No matter how long your baby's stay, please know that we’ll help make your family's experience as easy and stress-free as possible.