View trusted insights from KidsHealth.org, the No. 1 most-viewed health site for children, created by the experts at Nemours.
From Nemours' KidsHealth
- Urine Test: Creatinine
- Ultrasound: Renal (Kidneys, Ureters, Bladder)
- Urine Test: Calcium
- Urine Test: Dipstick
- Wilms Tumor
- Urine Test: Microalbumin-to-Creatinine Ratio
- Urine Test: Protein
- Urine Test: 24-Hour Analysis for Kidney Stones
- X-Ray Exam: Voiding Cystourethrogram (VCUG)
- Kidneys and Urinary Tract
- Urinary Tract Infections
- When Your Child Has a Chronic Kidney Disease
- Kidney Diseases in Childhood
- Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections and Related Conditions
- What Can I Do About My Child's Bedwetting?
- Definition: Kidney
The kidneys are a pair of organs that are found on either side of the spine, just below the rib cage in the back. Kidneys:
- filter waste materials out of the blood and pass them out of the body as urine
- regulate blood pressure and the levels of water, salts, and minerals in the body
- produce hormones that control other body functions
Damage to the kidneys can occur in people who have had diabetes for many years, particularly if the diabetes is not well controlled.