We know the idea of neurological problems can be scary for you and your child. Treating each child as our own, our Nemours pediatric neurology specialists provide expert care that’s as compassionate as it is technologically advanced. Whether your child has an injury or a neurological condition, we can help your child recover, improve and get back to just being a kid.
Neurological issues can affect your child’s cognitive functioning (ability to think, reason and make behavior choices), physical functioning (the way the body works), or both. Our Nemours pediatric neurologists take a team approach that brings in a variety of specialists who work together to give your child the best possible care.
The pediatric neurologists at Nemours have the expertise to evaluate, diagnose and treat children with a wide range of neurological injuries and conditions, including:
- epilepsy and seizures
- headache and migraines
- cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy and other neuromuscular disorders
- developmental delay
- sleep disorders
- learning and language disorders
- muscle and nerve disorders
- tumors in the nervous system such as neurofibromatosis, tuberous sclerosis and other neurocurtaneous syndromes
- Tourette syndrome and other tic disorders
- concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
Clinic Location: 5th Floor
Phone: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
The pediatric neurologists, neuropsychologists, and other experts at Nemours Children’s Hospital provide complete care for children with injuries and conditions that affect the brain, spine, and nervous system.
Our board-certified pediatric neurology specialists work in partnership with your child’s primary care provider and you to help your child deal with a wide range of complex neurologic issues that can affect movement, learning, behavior, and
Based on the 5th floor of Nemours Children’s Hospital, we offer most advanced diagnostic tools, techniques, and equipment available. We also bring together the medical training, expertise, and judgment needed to address your child’s challenges. Because after all, kids just want to be kids, regardless of their condition or injury.
Our Nemours neurology specialists evaluate and treat neurological disorders in children involving the brain and spine, as well as muscle and nerve development. We provide comprehensive evaluation, assessment, consultation, and coordinated treatment for children with:
- epilepsy and other seizure disorders
- headache and migraine
- Tourettes and other tic disorders
- neuromuscular disorders, including neuropathy, muscular dystrophy, and cerebral palsy
- concussion and traumatic brain injury
- autism spectrum disorders
- disruptive behaviors
- developmental delay
- learning disabilities
- genetic disorders
- neurologic syndromes
- neurocutaneous and metabolic disorders
On your first visit our neurology team will gather information about your child’s condition and your family’s concerns and needs. We’ll ask questions, perform a thorough physical exam, and conduct some simple tests. Then we’ll sit down with you and discuss a diagnosis, next steps, and our treatment proposal. The first visit typically lasts about one hour.
Establishing the correct diagnosis as early as possible gives us the best chance to provide effective treatment while your child is still growing. Our goals are to help your child make the most of his or her developmental potential, promote functional independence, and grow up to be a happy, fully functioning adult.
We’ll educate your family about the nature of your child’s condition, providing information to help you make informed and effective choices at every step. And we’ll work with your family as your child’s condition evolves.
As part of Nemours’ commitment to family-centered care, we facilitate your child’s access to the health care system and coordinate with your child’s school and community activities, primary care pediatrician, and other healthcare providers.
The neurology team at Nemours Children’s Hospital includes a large and varied lineup of experienced and skilled neuroscience professionals, including:
- advanced practice nurses (APNs)
- physician assistants (PAs)
We can diagnose and treat your child on an inpatient or outpatient basis, providing flexible consultation and care in a variety of neurological areas. If your child needs to see other specialists or therapists, our central scheduling professionals will make every effort to schedule visits conveniently on a same-day basis.
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
You’ll feel right at home in one of our private patient rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) and allows your child to watch TV, surf the web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team.
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- non-denominational chapel
- concierge services
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
At Nemours, we want to hear your concerns and share with you everything we can about your child's condition and treatment. If English is not your first language, we'll make sure you understand what to expect — in your language.
If your child has a complex or chronic condition we encourage you to take advantage of KidsTRACK, a unique service of Nemours Children’s Hospital. Located on the 1st floor of our hospital, KidsTRACK is designed to help families by providing expert assistance and information on all aspects of your child’s care, even before you leave our hospital or clinic.
A KidsTRACK care coordinator is available during every step of diagnosis, treatment, and healing — helping your family make a smooth transition from Nemours Children's Hospital to home. Your coordinator works alongside the nursing/case managers in our subspecialty areas and acts as a single point of contact connecting you to medical and community resources.
Simply ask your physician for a referral to KidsTRACK
or call (407) 650-7715.