If your baby comes into the world facing any kind of medical or surgical challenge, our highly skilled teams of Nemours neonatologists (newborn medicine specialists) can give you immediate care right when you need it. Our Neonatology specialists provide compassionate expert care in technologically advanced Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICU).
Common Conditions Treated by Our Neonatologists
Fortunately, most newborn problems are temporary and correctable with time and treatment — and our entire Nemours NICU teams are here to support you and your baby from the start.
Our NICUs are well-prepared and experienced in providing the necessary intensive care for babies with conditions such as:
- necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC): inflammation and cell damage in the colon (large bowel) that mostly affects premature babies
- omphalocele: a birth defect in which some of the abdominal organs protrude through the abdominal muscles in a sac outside the body
- gastroschisis: a defect in which a baby’s stomach and intestines protrude through an opening at the side of the belly button
- myelomeningocele: better known as spina bifida, a condition in which the spine doesn’t fully close during fetal development
- intestinal atresias: when a portion of the intestine fails to form or
is too narrow
- urogenital disorders: any birth defect affecting either the urinary tract or the genitals
- apnea: brief pauses in breathing that tend to occur in premature infants due to immaturity of the brain’s respiratory center
- respiratory problems related to prematurity
- airway abnormalities
- seizure disorders: due to dysfunction in the brain’s electrical activity
- metabolic disorders: problems involving the complex collection of chemical reactions that take place in the body's cells to convert nutrition into energy
Partnering With You to Offer Top-Quality Neonatology Care
Of course, we do more than just provide care for your baby — we make sure that you and your family are well taken care of, too. We’ll keep you fully informed — explaining your little one’s diagnosis and treatment in understandable terms, discussing any treatment options you might have, and inviting your family’s input for creating the treatment plan most appropriate for your baby.
We fully recognize that you, the family, play an important role in the care and healing process of your baby. We want you to be an active participant in the decision-making process. Our doctors and nurses will work hard to build a strong partnership with you for your baby’s care. And we’ll keep your primary care pediatrician fully up-to-date.
New JerseyCollaborating Hospital
Phone: (484) 565-1000
To ask a question about our Neonatology care, please call us at (484) 565-1000. We promise to do whatever it takes to treat your baby as we would our own.
When Your Baby Needs the Expertise of Nemours Neonatologists
If your new baby has immediate medical or surgical needs, it’s helpful to know you can get expert medical care from the highly regarded neonatology specialists (physicians specializing in newborn medicine and medical conditions) of Nemours. Our experts are conveniently available to you, right in your own backyard, through a special collaborative affiliation with Paoli Hospital and Main Line Health.
If you’re dealing with a high-risk pregnancy or premature birth, you can rest a little easier knowing that you have access to our specialists and the very latest neonatal medical technology.
To give you and your baby highly skilled, round-the-clock neonatal intensive care in Paoli, our Nemours team works together with Paoli Hospital’s own:
- respiratory therapists
- social workers
- occupational and physical therapists
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) team also has the ability to call on other pediatric subspecialists – including cardiologists, pulmonologists (lung specialists), pediatric neurologists, and others — as needed. We even offer our own specialized neonatal transport team, Nemours Kids Transport, to transfer your baby from local hospitals to our NICU.
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Paoli Hospital features:
- in-house, board-certified Nemours neonatologists
- three bassinets
- state-of-the-art monitors and equipment
- excellent nurse-to-baby ratio
We recognize the important role you and your family play in the healing process of your baby, so our whole NICU team is committed to full, open communication and building a strong doctor-parent relationship with you from the start.