Otolaryngology is a specialty devoted to the evaluation and treatment of ear, nose and throat (ENT) disorders as well as head and neck, hearing and communication problems. We understand how ENT conditions can affect hearing, learning, speech and sleep and impact development. Our teams provide care that takes your whole child, not just the condition, into account.
ENT conditions in children can range from recurring ear infections and enlarged tonsils, to sinus diseases or a complex craniofacial anomaly (irregular or abnormal growth of head and facial bones). Nemours ear, nose and throat doctors, called otolaryngologists, are board-certified ENT surgeons who are highly trained in the latest minimally invasive and endoscopic surgery techniques.
The most common procedures our surgeons perform include:
Nemours surgeons are also skilled in advanced reconstructive techniques and often work with other specialists to try to combine one or more surgeries during a single hospitalization, which helps reduce the number of times your child needs to receive anesthesia.
New JerseySpecialty Care
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
When you bring your child to see an ENT specialist at Nemours Children's Specialty Care, Lake Mary, you can expect exceptional care. Our physicians provide comprehensive pediatric otolaryngology evaluation and treatment for problems affecting the ears, nose, throat, and sinuses. Our team can provide routine ENT care and many kinds of exams, tests and procedures onsite at the Nemours Children's Specialty Care, Lake Mary, including audiology services. (For some special ENT programs or testing, your child may need to visit our downtown location, Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Orlando.) Please call for an appointment and to find out about scheduled days and available testing.
For our ENT team, it’s all about the kids and we do all we can to help put your child at ease.
Provide Specialized ENT Care for Children
Every Nemours pediatric otolaryngologist has extensive training and experience in treating wide range of ENT conditions in children and performing common procedures such as:
- tonsillectomy (removal of the tonsils)
- adenoidectomy (removal of the adenoidal tissue)
- myringotomy with tube placement (removal of fluid from the middle ear and insertion of ear tubes). ear tubes and tonsillectomies)
Our highly skilled ENT surgeons also have areas of specialization and perform complex procedures that are unique in the area. For example, we are the only children’s clinic in Orlando to offer balloon sinuplasty, an advanced technology to treat sinus disease. With this procedure, our doctors can treat severe sinus infections by placing a special type of balloon catheter (a small tube with an inflatable balloon on its tip) into the inflamed sinus. By gradually inflating the balloon, they can successfully open the blocked sinus cavity.
Partnering With You to Help Your Child
We believe strongly in educating families and want you to know that you are an important part of your child’s care team. We welcome your active involvement in the decision-making process. We also strive to make things as easy and convenient as possible for you and your child. Because our Ear, Nose and Throat doctors and audiologists are all under one roof, your child can often have multiple appointments scheduled in one day.
Working as a Team to Care For Your Child
Whether your child’s ENT problem is straightforward (such as a chronic ear infection) or much more complicated (such as deafness), we practice medicine in a way that brings together skills and talent from different areas of expertise.
Members from different specialties collaborate to create solutions to treat and meet your child’s needs.
Health professionals who may be involved include:
- surgeons (oral)
- behavioral health experts
- deaf educators
- neurologists (doctors who treat problems of the nervous system)
Our doctors and teams provide advanced ENT care that takes your whole child, and not just the condition into account. We address areas and conditions that include:
- General pediatric otolaryngology
- recurrent ear infections
- adenotonsillar disease/strep throat
- adenoidal enlargement or disease
- tonsil enlargement/infection
- Rhinology: nose and sinuses
- sinus disease sinus/nasal diseases
- Laryngology: treatment of diseases and disorders that affect the larynx (voice box)
- airway problems and diseases
- foreign body aspiration: inhaling food or objects into the airway or lungs
- voice disorders
- Stridor: abnormal, high-pitched breathing sound caused by a blockage in the throat or voice box (larynx)
- Otology and neurotology: hearing and balance disorders and diseases of the ear
We also work together to address ENT-related concerns associated with complex conditions such as Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis and skeletal dysplasia.