We understand that the dermatologic needs of children can be quite different from those of adults. Our doctors are trained in pediatric dermatology to offer a full range of care for kids with a variety of disorders that affect the skin, hair, and nails. We’re committed to educating families about their diagnoses and available treatment options, as well as about their long-term skin health.
Pediatric Dermatology Conditions Often Seen in Children:
- atopic dermatitis (eczema), a common hereditary condition that causes chronic dry skin and an itchy scaly rash
- contact dermatitis (caused by direct skin contact with an irritating substance)
- birthmarks (discolored or raised areas of skin noted shortly after birth)
- hemangiomas and port wine stains (types of birthmarks)
- nevi (moles), caused by pigment producing cells
- infections of the skin
- vitiligo (smooth white spots or patches on the skin)
- psoriasis (a chronic disease that causes parts of the skin to become scaly and inflamed)
- hair loss
- nail disorders (related to infection or other body system disorders)
- genetic and body system disorders that include skin problems, such as neurofibromatosis (which causes tumors to grow beneath the skin)
At Nemours, our pediatric dermatology teams also places a lot of emphasis on teaching children about sun safety because research shows that good sun protection habits established during childhood can help prevent skin cancers later in life.
For Appointments: (302) 651-4200
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
We provide comprehensive pediatric dermatology evaluations in the inpatient, outpatient, and emergency department setting, and we offer the latest in diagnostic testing and treatments at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont for Children for a wide variety of childhood skin problems.
Examples of Pediatric Dermatology Diagnostic Tests and Treatments:
- cultures – lab tests that help determine if a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection is causing a skin condition
- biopsy – the removal of a small piece of skin or nail so it can be analyzed in a lab
- cryotherapy – used to freeze skin lesions
- pulsed dye laser treatment – to treat spots involving blood vessels and some other specific conditions of the skin
We also partner with specialists from other Nemours divisions to provide the best care for your child.