The way your child grows, develops and even feels, can depend on how well their endocrine system is working. Endocrine disorders create hormone imbalances that can affect a child's health in many different ways. Our pediatric endocrinologists provide care, treatment, education and supportive services to children dealing with both common and rare endocrine disorders.
Made up of hormone-producing glands, the endocrine system controls many body functions such as growth and development, maturation, energy levels and mood.
And although Type 1 diabetes — also known as juvenile diabetes — is the most recognizable condition, Nemours pediatric endocrinologists treat other diseases of the endocrine system such as:
- puberty disorders: premature (precocious) puberty, delayed puberty
- growth disorders: short stature (growth failure), growth hormone deficiency
- thyroid diseases: hypothyroidism (Hashimoto’s disease), hyperthyroidism (Graves disease)
- pituitary disorders: diabetes insipidus, hypopituitarism
- adrenal disorders: Addison disease, Cushing syndrome
- polycystic ovary syndrome and other menstrual disorders
- genetic disorders: Turner syndrome, Klinefelter syndrome, Noonan syndrome, Russell Silver syndrome
- bone diseases and disorders of calcium and vitamin D: rickets and osteoporosis
- disorders of sexual differentiation
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
Phone: (407) 650-7210
Fax: (407) 650-7211
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Please also bring (if available):
- bone-age X-rays
Complete lab work prior to your appointment and bring your child's list of all medications and doses, pharmacy name, and phone number.
Please request medication refills at your appointment — specify one or three months supply. Refill requests may take 24-hours — during the week and up to 72-hours on weekends to be completed.
When calling for a refill, include:
- your child’s name and birth date
- medication name and dosage
- pharmacy name and phone number
- prescriptions will not be refilled if you have not been seen in our clinic in the last six months
Growth Hormone requires prior authorization for a brand on your insurance drug formulary. Please notify your insurance company to find out what brand(s) is covered (preferred) with a prior authorization. Formulary can change every year.
When growth hormone therapy is recommended for your child, the following list of growth hormone manufacturer websites can be helpful educational resources to become comfortable in making a choice for your child. Many of them include such tools as product and device information, storage and safety information, financial support programs, and instructional guides and demonstration videos. Reimbursement Center Case Managers can assist with insurance benefit investigation and coordination of growth hormone therapy.
Growth Hormone Manufacturers
Manufacturer: Pfizer Inc.
Reimbursement Center: Pfizer Bridge
Contact Case Manager: (800) 645-1280
Manufacturer: Eli Lilly and Company
Reimbursement Center: HRC-Humatrope
Contact Case Manager: (800) 642-2340
Manufacturer: Novo Nordisk, Inc.
Reimbursement Center: Nordicare
Contact Case Manager: (888) 668-6444
Reimbursement Center: Nutropin GPS
Contact Case Manager: (866) 688-7674
Manufacturer: Sandoz, Inc.
Reimbursement Center: OmniSource
Contact Case Manager: (866) 749-3550
Manufacturer: EMD Serono, Inc.
Reimbursement Center: Connections for Growth
Contact Case Manager: (800) 582-7989
Manufacturer: Gate Pharmaceuticals
Reimbursement Center: Growth Solutions
Contact Case Manager: (866) 838-8767
As a parent, you know the importance of balance to your child’s overall well-being – and, so does your child’s body. Too much or too little of anything – including nutrients and hormones in your child’s body – can affect the way your child moves, feels and even their growth and development. Nemours pediatric endocrinologists are here to ensure that your child's body is properly reaching that balance. That’s why the experience of a board certified pediatric endocrinologist at Nemours Children’s Clinic, Lake Mary, is important to help identify the causes of your child’s disorder and help your child start feeling better again.
- diabetes – Type 1 and Type 2
- maturity onset diabetes of youth (MODY)
- insulin resistance disorders
- menstrual disorders
- pituitary disorders
- calcium and metabolism disorders
- adrenal disorders (congenital adrenal hyperplasia, Addisons disease, Cushings syndrome)
- disorders of puberty (early puberty or precocious puberty, delayed puberty)
- growth disorders (short stature, tall stature, poor growth)
- thyroid diseases (hypothyroidism – H, hyperthyroidism – G, goiter or enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodules, thyroid cancer, congenital hypothyroidism)
- hormone dysfunction
- sexual differentiation disorders
- bone diseases associated with disorders of calcium and metabolism
- different hormonal disorders frequently seen in genetic syndromes such as: genetic disorders, i.e., Turner syndrome, Klinefelter syndrome
Our pediatric endocrinologists specialize in helping children with all types of endocrine disorders. Along with our board-certified pediatric endocrinologists, our comprehensive care team includes:
- advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP)
- licensed clinical social workers and licensed mental health counselors
- certified diabetes educators
- research nurses for diabetes trials
Our pediatric endocrinologists are experienced in evaluating diagnosing and treating children with all types of endocrine disorders. Some of the state-of-the-are technology and screenings we may use to help us assess your child’s condition include:
- X-rays – for bone age assessment and other tests
- blood tests for diabetes and other disorders
- bone density
- body composition
- nutritional assessment
- growth hormone secretion tests and other types of stimulation tests
Center of Excellence
The Pediatric Diabetes Education Program at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Orlando, is one of only a few in Florida accredited as a Center of Excellence by the American Diabetes Association – making us the first pediatric program in Central Florida to have achieved such an award, and only the second pediatric-specific program in Florida. This recognition means our pediatric diabetes educators are providing high-quality information and care to children with diabetes and support to their families.