The way your child grows, develops and even feels, can depend on how well their endocrine system is working. Endocrine disorders create hormone imbalances that can affect a child's health in many different ways. Our pediatric endocrinologists provide care, treatment, education and supportive services to children dealing with both common and rare endocrine disorders.
Made up of hormone-producing glands, the endocrine system controls many body functions such as growth and development, maturation, energy levels and mood.
And although Type 1 diabetes — also known as juvenile diabetes — is the most recognizable condition, Nemours pediatric endocrinologists treat other diseases of the endocrine system such as:
- puberty disorders: premature (precocious) puberty, delayed puberty
- growth disorders: short stature (growth failure), growth hormone deficiency
- thyroid diseases: hypothyroidism (Hashimoto’s disease), hyperthyroidism (Graves disease)
- pituitary disorders: diabetes insipidus, hypopituitarism
- adrenal disorders: Addison disease, Cushing syndrome
- polycystic ovary syndrome and other menstrual disorders
- genetic disorders: Turner syndrome, Klinefelter syndrome, Noonan syndrome, Russell Silver syndrome
- bone diseases and disorders of calcium and vitamin D: rickets and osteoporosis
- disorders of sexual differentiation
Clinic Location: 4th Floor
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
You know that keeping a balance in life is important — especially for your child. The balance of nutrients and hormones in your child’s body is one example — they can affect the way your child feels, moves, and grows. Nemours pediatric endocrinologists are here to ensure that your child's body is properly reaching that balance.
The board-certified pediatric endocrinologists at Nemours Children’s Hospital (NCH), Orlando, know how to recognize and treat conditions involving the
balance of these nutrients and hormones, and can help your child to start
feeling better again.
- diabetes – Type 1 and Type 2
- maturity onset diabetes of youth (MODY)
- insulin resistance disorders
- menstrual disorders
- pituitary disorders
- calcium and metabolism disorders
- adrenal disorders (congenital adrenal hyperplasia, Addisons disease, Cushings syndrome)
- disorders of puberty (early puberty or precocious puberty, delayed puberty)
- growth disorders (short stature, tall stature, poor growth)
- thyroid diseases (hypothyroidism – H, hyperthyroidism – G, goiter or enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodules, thyroid cancer, congenital hypothyroidism)
- hormone dysfunction
- sexual differentiation disorders
- bone diseases associated with disorders of calcium and metabolism
- different hormonal disorders frequently seen in genetic syndromes such as: genetic disorders, i.e., Turner syndrome, Klinefelter syndrome
Our pediatric endocrinologists specialize in helping children with all types of endocrine disorders. Along with our board-certified pediatric endocrinologists, our comprehensive care team includes:
- advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP)
- registered dietitians
- licensed clinical social workers and licensed mental health counselors
- certified diabetes educators
- research nurses for diabetes trials
Our pediatric endocrinologists are experienced in evaluating diagnosing and treating children with all types of endocrine disorders. Some of the state-of-the-art technology and screenings we may use to help us assess your child’s condition include:
- X-rays – for bone age assessment and other tests
- blood tests for diabetes and other disorders
- bone density
- body composition
- nutritional assessment
- growth hormone secretion tests and other types of stimulation tests
Center of Excellence
The Pediatric Diabetes Education Program is one of only a few in Florida accredited as a Center of Excellence by the American Diabetes Association — making us the first pediatric program in Central Florida to have achieved such an award, and only the second pediatric-specific program in Florida. This recognition means our pediatric diabetes educators are providing high-quality information and care to children with diabetes and support to their families.
Using all the power of our brand-new hospital’s state-of-the-art diagnostic testing and screening technology, our pediatric endocrinology team can assess your child’s condition and develop treatments specifically for your child. We’re also completely committed to providing a truly family-centered model of care. This means we involve you, the parents, every step of the way — including you in our decision-making and always listening to your thoughts and concerns.
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
You’ll feel right at home in one of our private patient rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless Internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) and allows your child to watch TV, surf the Web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team.
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- nondenominational chapel
- concierge services
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
At Nemours, we want to hear your concerns and share with you everything we can about your child's condition and treatment. If English is not your first language, we'll make sure you understand what to expect — in your language.
If your child has a complex or chronic condition we encourage you to take advantage of KidsTRACK, a unique service of Nemours Children’s Hospital. Located on the first floor of our hospital, KidsTRACK is designed to help families by providing expert assistance and information on all aspects of your child’s care, even before you leave our hospital or clinic.
A KidsTRACK care coordinator is available during every step of diagnosis, treatment and healing — helping your family make a smooth transition from Nemours Children's Hospital to home. Your coordinator works alongside the nursing/case managers in our subspecialty areas and acts as a single point of contact connecting you to medical and community resources.
Simply ask your physician for a referral to KidsTRACK
or call (407) 650-7715.