Our pediatric orthotics specialists use prefabricated or custom-made orthotics for children to provide support and increase mobility for kids who are born with or develop any number of musculoskeletal abnormalities or conditions.
The term "ortho" means to correct or straighten. When you think of pediatric orthotics, you may picture the simple devices worn in shoes to improve mobility and decrease pain. While shoe inserts are, indeed, orthotics, there are many more complex solutions available for a broad range of conditions affecting the bones, muscles and joints.
Pediatric orthotics help to improve children’s gait (how they walk), as well as support the spine, upper extremities or lower extremities.
Some examples of pediatric orthotics include:
- ankle foot orthoses (also called AFOs)
- leg braces
- hand and wrist splints
- shoulder and elbow braces
- body braces
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
Hours: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Bring these forms for your first appointment:
New Patient Forms
Returning Patient Forms
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
The pediatric orthotist at Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando provide both custom and prefabricated orthoses to assist in both muscular and skeletal issues due to illness, injury or birth defect. Using the most innovative and advanced technologies, our pediatric specialist ensures your child receives the most appropriate device and the best care — from the first thorough evaluation, to compassionate care at fitting and throughout your child’s treatment.
We also offer pediatric prosthetic care onsite.
Comprehensive Pediatric Orthotics Care in Central Florida
Certified by the American Board for Certification (ABC) in Orthotics and Prosthetics, the pediatric orthotist at Nemours is part of a multispecialty team to ensure your child has the most comprehensive care possible. Depending on your child’s condition, we may work with:
- general and thoracic surgeons
- neurologists and neurosurgeons
- orthopedists and orthopedic surgeons
- other specialists your child may see
And, as part of the rehabilitation and physical medicine program at our hospital, our pediatric orthotist participates in your child’s physical and occupational therapy sessions as needed. This not only helps to maximize the device’s comfort, stability and functionality, it ensures that any required adjustments or modifications are addressed immediately.
Conditions Requiring Orthotics
Pediatric orthotists create supportive and functional devices for kids with neuromuscular and musculoskeletal differences or injuries, including:
- arthritis (juvenile, rheumatoid)
- cerebral palsy
- chest wall deformities (pectus excavatum)
- hand/upper extremity conditions
- joint contractures (arthrogryposis)
- limb length differences
- lower extremity conditions (club foot)
- muscular dystrophy
- peripheral neuropathies
- spina bifida
- spinal curvature (scoliosis, kyphosis)
- spinal muscular atrophy
Types of Pediatric Orthotics We Offer
Bracing services (correction, postoperative, sports) include customized, prefabricated and modified options to help:
- correct or prevent problems with bone alignment
- improve walking
- reduce pain
- support your child’s joints and muscles
Some common bracing solutions include:
- lower extremity (foot, ankle-foot, knee-ankle-ankle-foot, hip-knee-ankle-foot orthotics)
- spinal orthotics (thoracic lumbar sacral, lumbar sacral)
- upper extremity (shoulder, elbow, hand and wrist orthotics)
Cranial orthotic services at Nemours include fabricating and fitting helmets for infants with head shape abnormalities. Such devices are used as a first line of therapy or after surgery for congenital (present at birth) or acquired (develops over time) neurosurgical and craniofacial anomalies. In fact, orthotists at Nemours Children’s Hospital specialize in designing comfortable, effective cranial orthotics for children with these conditions (among many others):
- craniofacial anomalies (cleft lip, cleft palate and disproportionate facial features)
- craniosynostosis (misshapen head caused by the skull bones fusing abnormally)
- positional plagiocephaly (“flat head” syndrome)
What to Expect at Nemours
When you visit the orthotics clinic at Nemours Children’s Hospital, a pediatric orthotist will take measurements and evaluate your child’s range of motion, gait (walking) and muscle strength. Using advanced technologies that are safe and effective, we can minimize the time your child spends in the measuring and evaluation process.
With this information and the prescription provided by the referring specialist, we’ll work with you to develop a plan that best meets your child’s mobility and functional needs today and as your child grows. In some cases, we can fabricate a custom brace for your child on the same day it’s prescribed by our doctors.
Whether we use a prefabricated, modified or customize a one-of-a-kind orthotic device, your child will receive compassionate ongoing care during extensive fitting appointments and follow-up adjustments to ensure maximum comfort and confidence.
Related Programs We Offer
Pediatric orthopedic surgeons at Nemours provide diagnostic evaluation and treatment for children with limb length differences using cutting-edge technology and equipment to lengthen a limb entirely from the inside.
Pediatric physiatrists (physician specialists who are nerve, muscle and bone experts who treat injuries or illnesses that affect how your child moves) provide therapeutic treatment for maximum functionality, as well as education and training for continued progress at home.
Our physicians are certified by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and include one of fewer than 250 physicians in the United States with a certificate of subspecialty in pediatric rehabilitation medicine.
Learn More About Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Nemours Children's Hospital »
Pediatric anesthesiologists and pain management specialists prescribe medicines, physical therapies and complementary alternatives (hydrotherapy, biofeedback, massage) to manage pain in an inpatient, outpatient and/or day-stay hospital setting.
Learn More About the Pediatric Pain Management Program at Nemours Children's Hospital »
Care and Support for the Entire Family
Here at Nemours, we’re dedicated to providing care in a truly family-centered environment. Our team is concerned about your child’s physical and emotional wellness, and values your involvement throughout the entire process. We understand that dealing with a chronic or complex medical condition can be difficult for your child and family, and we’re here every step of the way.
To help make the experience as comfortable as possible, we also provide emotional and psychosocial support and many other services for your child and family, including:
- social work
- Child Life services
- KidsTRACK care coordination
- mental health counseling
- patient and family education
- spiritual care
- support groups
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
You’ll feel right at home in one of our private patient rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless Internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) and allows your child to watch TV, surf the Web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team.
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- nondenominational chapel
- concierge services
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
At Nemours, we want to hear your concerns and share with you everything we can about your child's condition and treatment. If English is not your first language, we'll make sure you understand what to expect — in your language.
If your child has a complex or chronic condition we encourage you to take advantage of KidsTRACK, a unique service of Nemours Children’s Hospital. Located on the first floor of our hospital, KidsTRACK is designed to help families by providing expert assistance and information on all aspects of your child’s care, even before you leave our hospital or clinic.
A KidsTRACK care coordinator is available during every step of diagnosis, treatment and healing — helping your family make a smooth transition from Nemours Children's Hospital to home. Your coordinator works alongside the nursing/case managers in our subspecialty areas and acts as a single point of contact connecting you to medical and community resources.
Simply ask your physician for a referral to KidsTRACK
or call (407) 650-7715.