At Nemours, our team of experts understand how pediatric sports medicine injuries can impact your child — and how each child's individual growth should be taken into consideration with their personalized rehabilitation program. So we do whatever it takes to diagnose and rehabilitate sports medicine injuries in children and get them back in the game — safely.
Pediatric Sports Medicine Injuries We Treat
At Nemours' locations offering Sports Medicine, we treat:
- knee: patellar instability, anterior knee pain, anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus tears, cartilage damage
- ankle: ligament tears, instability, cartilage damage
- shoulder: dislocations, impingement and tendonitis
- elbow: Little Leaguer’s elbow, tennis elbow, loose bodies
- spine: spondylolisthesis (when one spine bone slips in relation to the one below it), muscle strains/sprains
- hip: dance, ice hockey and ice skating injuries
- head: concussions
Preventing Pediatric Sports Medicine Injuries
We also focus on preventing an injury before it happens:
- customized conditioning ("prehabilitation") regimens that concentrate on core strengths to prevent overuse injuries and develop good body mechanics
- pre-season screenings
- intervention counseling: when and how to rest, how to play
For Appointments: (302) 651-4200
For Information: (610) 542-3300
Fax: (610) 542-3320
Parking: Valet parking at entrance. Garage parking with convenient skywalk.
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Registration (PDF)
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Nemours’ expertise in pediatric sports medicine is now available right near you, at Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Bryn Mawr. In our 20,000 square-foot multi-specialty practice (where The Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children Surgery Center, Bryn Mawr, is also located), we provide comprehensive pediatric sports medicine care, including evaluation, treatment, physical therapy and rehabilitation of sports injuries in children, athletic training, sports nutrition counseling and sports medicine surgery.
We welcome referrals from your young athlete’s primary care doctor or pediatrician if there is a diagnostic question about an injury — or if your child continues to experience pain or limitation as a result of the injury. You may also self-refer your child to our Sports Medicine Program (although, depending on your insurance plan, you may need a referral), if you’re concerned that your child’s sports related injury may have a lasting impact on their performance goals.
At Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Bryn Mawr, we provide all of the therapy, training and nutritional support to assist children recovering from pediatric sports medicine injuries, prevent future injuries and achieve maximum performance. Our advanced rehab and pediatric sports medicine gym offers more than 3,500 square feet of therapy space that includes:
- a comprehensive concussion testing and management program, including baseline imPACT® (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) and the NeuroCon SMART Equitest® System (which provides objective assessment of balance control and postural stability under dynamic test conditions to reflect the challenges of daily life)
- on-site X-rays, pediatric sports medicine care and surgery
- a plyometric and agility area
- a 27-yard indoor running lane with low-impact flooring
- an interactive steer and shift Expresso bike with virtual reality games while cycling
Your child will benefit from the combined expertise of our interdisciplinary team, including:
- pediatric sports medicine physicians
- certified athletic trainers and certified strength and conditioning specialists
- physical therapists specializing in sports medicine
- a certified sports nutritionist
The surgery center at Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Bryn Mawr, offers two fully equipped operating rooms, eight private pre-op rooms (where you can stay with your child right up until the time of surgery) and a comfortable waiting area. If your child needs surgery, the physician will let you know if it can be offered in the facility’s surgery center.
Some conditions for which we can offer surgical treatment right at our Bryn Mawr surgery center include:
- ACL reconstruction, meniscus repair
- shoulder stabilization – rotator cuff repair
- arthroscopy (of the shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, knee, ankle)
- joint cartilage restoration
- fracture management
About 30 minutes from Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Bryn Mawr, you can get more care for pediatric sports injuries — at the Center for Sports Medicine, located on the ground floor of Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Del. (named among the best children’s hospitals in the country for pediatric orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report).