If your child’s mobility and communication skills have been affected by disease or traumatic injury, look to our team of experts at Nemours. We provide a pediatric rehabilitation program, for children up to 17, designed to teach your child and family all the skills necessary to allow him or her to move, communicate, interact with people, and return home to live as independently and pain-free as possible.
Conditions that may require intensive rehabilitative services include:
- traumatic brain injury (caused by a trauma, such as a car accident, fall, or gunshot wound)
- acquired brain injury (such as a stroke, brain tumor, or loss of oxygen to the brain)
- seizure disorder
- spinal cord injuries (including those resulting in ventilator dependency)
- spina bifida
- cerebral palsy
- neuromuscular disorders
- post-orthopedic surgeries
New JerseySpecialty Care
Clinic Location: 5th Floor
Phone: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical insurance cards
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
The Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Nemours Children’s Hospital is committed to the evaluation and management of your child’s rehabilitation needs.
Our pediatric physiatrists (rehabilitation physicians) treat children with disabilities resulting from injuries and diseases. We help children experiencing functional limitations in mobility, communication, cognition (thinking and reasoning), and those who have difficulty performing everyday activities that would be appropriate for the child’s age.
For each child in our care, we take the time needed to accurately pinpoint the source of the ailment and then design a customized treatment plan.
We believe that every child and family deserves the very best quality of life. Our care is family-centered and focused on helping your child function as independently as possible. Our goal is to help your child enjoy meaningful inclusion in all aspects of his or her culture — at home, in school, and in the community.
We work with children who have a wide range of conditions, including:
- developmental delay
- cerebral palsy
- traumatic brain injury
- non-traumatic brain injury
- spinal cord injury and disorders of the spinal cord
- congenital limb deficiency and acquired amputation
- neuromuscular disorders
- rheumatic disorders
- orthopedic conditions
- de-conditioning related to illness or surgery
When you visit us in our state-of-the-art ambulatory care wing at the Nemours Children’s Hospital, a pediatric physiatrist will conduct a comprehensive evaluation on your child.
This process includes assessing your child’s:
- global developmental progress
- general physical health with emphasis on neurologic and musculoskeletal systems
- overall level of functioning
Your Child's Personalized Plan of Care
With this and any additional diagnostic evaluations as a starting point, we’ll develop a customized Plan of Care for your child. The plan serves as a roadmap for your child’s progress, addresses the rehabilitation interventions we recommend, and identifies the functional improvements we hope to help your child achieve.
Your child and family will play a big role in developing the Plan of Care. We’ll also collaborate with therapists and specialists from our staff, as well as your child’s primary care physician. We recommend including other perspectives, too — such as people from your child’s school and local community agencies.
We’ll make every effort to monitor your child’s milestones and outcomes, and ensure continuity of care throughout your child’s rehabilitation process.
Whatever brings your child to Nemours Children’s Hospital, whether an illness or injury, your child — and your family — will have help at every step in the rehabilitation process. Often children have complex medical issues requiring the attention of specialists and therapists in a variety of medical disciplines.
Our Rehabilitation and Therapeutic Services care team includes pediatric experts in:
- physical therapy
- occupational therapy
- speech and language pathology
- assistive technology
- psychology and psychiatry
- behavioral health
If your child needs to see multiple specialists, our central scheduling professionals will make every effort to arrange your child’s visits at convenient times, so you’ll be able to have multiple appointments at Nemours Children’s Hospital on the same day.
In addition to reducing stress and travel time for patients and families, this capability improves communication among the various professionals involved in your child’s care and promotes a comprehensive approach to healing.
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
You’ll feel right at home in one of our private patient rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television is uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more, and allows your child to watch TV, surf the web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities, like:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café coffee shop
- non-denominational chapel
- concierge services
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image-guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state. Learn More »
- neuroradiological, cardiovascular, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) imaging: Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
If your child has a complex or chronic condition we encourage you to take advantage of KidsTRACK, a unique service of Nemours Children’s Hospital. Located on the 1st floor of our hospital, KidsTRACK is designed to help families cope by providing expert assistance and information on all aspects of your child’s care even before you leave our hospital or clinic.
A KidsTRACK care coordinator is available during every step of diagnosis, treatment, and healing — helping your family make a smooth transition from Nemours Children's Hospital to home. Your coordinator works alongside the nursing/case managers in our subspecialty areas and acts as a single point of contact connecting you to medical and community resources.
Simply ask your physician for a referral to KidsTRACK
or call (407) 650-7715.