Any operation that improves a child’s physical appearance can be considered "plastic," but what we do at Nemours is different. We’re focused on pediatric plastic surgery that betters the movement and function of parts affected by injury, disease, genetic syndromes, birth defects, or abnormal development and improves a child’s outside appearance and helps kids feel better about themselves on the inside.
Common Conditions or Injuries for Pediatric Plastic Surgery
- craniofacial impairments: defects or deformities of the head, skull, or face (like cleft lip and palate) that are genetic or congenital (meaning present since birth)
- wounds and facial injuries
- skin lesions
- head or neck tumors
- vascular malformations (such as complex birthmarks)
- vascular anomalies and hemangiomas (blood vessel abnormalities)
- other pediatric conditions requiring plastic surgery
No matter what your child's pediatric plastic surgery needs, know that our care doesn’t end once you leave the hospital. Our goal at Nemours is to offer your child the most effective treatment with as few pediatric plastic surgery operations as possible. Regardless of whether your child needs one procedure or several over time, our pediatric plastic surgery team is here for your family throughout the entire process.