Our pulmonary specialists (lung and respiratory care doctors known as pulmonologists) treat infants, children and teens with diseases of the lungs and airways in family-friendly outpatient and inpatient environments. And because these diseases can affect other parts of the body, we work closely with specialists across Nemours. Together, our teams are dedicated to giving each child comprehensive and convenient care.
Our pulmonary specialists evaluate and care for children with conditions such as:
- airway obstruction
- apnea (brief pauses in breathing, usually during sleep)
- asthma (a lung condition that causes difficulty breathing)
- bronchopulmonary dysplasia (inflammation and scarring in the lungs that develops in premature babies after being on a ventilator for a prolonged period of time)
- cystic fibrosis (a chronic genetic disorder that leads to excess mucus in the lungs along with other findings)
- chronic cough
- muscular dystrophy
- recurrent pneumonia (lung infection)
- sleep-related breathing problems
- ventilator dependence
- tracheostomy (a surgical procedure that creates an opening in the windpipe when breathing is obstructed)
- tuberculosis (a specific type of bacterial infection of the lungs)
- RSV (respiratory syncytial virus), a virus that is particularly dangerous to premature babies
New JerseySpecialty Care
For Appointments: (904) 697-3600
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Bring these forms for your first appointment:
New Patient Forms
Returning Patient Forms
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Pediatric pulmonary specialists (or pulmonologists, lung and respiratory care doctors) at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Fleming Island, evaluate, diagnose, treat and provide long-term management for infants, children and teens who have a variety of lung and airway diseases.
For your convenience, Nemours pediatric lung and respiratory specialists from our downtown Jacksonville clinic come to Fleming Island to treat children of all ages with a variety of airway and lung conditions. Since we serve as a referral center for the region, our division also treats children with complex lung and respiratory problems at our Jacksonville South clinic.
Nemours treats nearly every pediatric lung and respiratory condition, and we have the pediatric expertise to offer care for children who have special health needs.
Specialty Pulmonary Care for Kids in Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia
Your child’s pulmonary care team may also include experts from our pediatric partner Wolfson Children’s Hospital. Together, we offer the area’s most comprehensive pulmonology programs and clinics, including care for kids with sickle cell disease, asthma, cystic fibrosis and more.
The Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Fleming Island offers X-ray imaging onsite, while MRIs and nuclear medicine studies, CT scans, ultrasounds and interventional radiology services are provided at Wolfson Children’s Hospital.
If your child needs additional tests, therapies or rehabilitation, polysomnography (sleep study), surgery or an overnight hospital stay, your pulmonology team and specialists at Wolfson Children’s Hospital will take good care of your family and make the experience as easy and stress-free as possible.
To ensure everyone is on the same page (including your primary care provider or pediatrician) your entire medical care team has access to our award-winning electronic health record system that keeps track of every visit, every test result and every procedure at Nemours.
And you can access select parts of your child’s health record through MyNemours, our secure portal that allows you to interact with your care providers and request prescription refills online, anytime.
Learn More About Our Care in These Specialties at Nemours Children's Specialty Care, Jacksonville
The Nemours Commitment to Family-Centered Care
At Nemours, we recognize the importance of the family in the care and healing process. Because many of the children we see have chronic illnesses that require repeated visits, we build strong relationships with our families that foster respect, dignity and collaboration. We’re also committed to educating children and families about the medical condition, and how best to manage it. Our goal is to get your child back to the business of being a kid as quickly as possible.