If your child is consistently waking during the night or your teen is sleeping excessively in the daytime, there could be an underlying pediatric sleep disorder to blame. Nemours’ board-certified sleep medicine and pulmonology experts have special training to diagnose, evaluate the causes of, and treat sleep disorders in children such as sleep apnea, insomnia, delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS), narcolepsy, nightmares and restless leg syndrome.
Sleep is important for the body to rehabilitate and heal, and studies consistently show that our children aren’t getting enough of it.
Trouble focusing, a decline in grades, irritability, excessive daytime sleepiness, sleep-related injuries, hyperactivity — these can all be signs of a potential pediatric sleep disorder. At Nemours, our pediatric sleep medicine experts will get to the bottom of what’s causing your child’s disrupted rest.
Common Pediatric Sleep Disorders
Some of the common sleep disorders in children we see include:
- insomnia (difficulty getting to and staying asleep)
- delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) (inability to fall asleep at bedtime and difficulty awakening)
- restless leg syndrome (irresistible need for movement)
- narcolepsy (uncontrollable urge to sleep)
- breathing-disordered sleep (snoring, sleep apnea)
- parasomnias (night terrors, nightmares or sleepwalking)
- rhythmic movement disorders (head banging or rocking)
- nocturnal enuresis (nighttime bedwetting)
- bruxism (nighttime teeth grinding or clenching)
- biological clock (circadian) rhythm disorders
- nocturnal (nighttime) seizures
Evaluating Sleep Disorders: Pediatric Sleep Studies
As part of our comprehensive sleep medicine services, Nemours conducts pediatric sleep studies, known as polysomnography, to evaluate sleep disorders in newborns, children and teens. Pediatric sleep studies monitor what happens when your child is sleeping by tracking vital information such as brain waves, breathing, muscle tone, movement and heart rate using state-of-the-art technologies.
Our pediatric sleep specialists use this information to diagnose and treat sleep problems to restore your child’s peaceful, healing sleep for better nights — and days — ahead.
Specialized Care for Kids of All Ages
The Nemours team has the expertise to evaluate and treat children of all ages (from newborns to teens) with underlying medical conditions or complex medical needs that may contribute to pediatric sleep disorders. That includes kids who have:
Expert, Family-Centered Care at Nemours
Nemours’ pediatric sleep medicine experts include pulmonologists who are consistently named among the best doctors in America. Working with licensed respiratory specialists and sleep technicians specifically trained in pediatric sleep disorders, our coordinated care teams share a common goal of helping your child get a good night’s rest.