Spina bifida is a congenital condition (meaning it is present at birth) that involves the incomplete development of the spinal cord or its coverings. Nemours’ spina bifida experts are uniquely prepared to treat the medical challenges of the condition while giving children the tools they need to grow into active, independent adults.
The term spina bifida comes from Latin and literally means "split" or "open" spine. Though the cause is unknown, the spine’s failure to close properly happens during the first month of pregnancy.
A child born with spina bifida (also called myelomeningocele), or the related disorder lipomeningocele (when the “open” spine is covered over by an area of fatty tissue), often has some sort of damage to the nerves of the spinal cord. The extent of this damage can vary widely, but may include paralysis in the lower extremities and loss of bowel and bladder control. Children with spina bifida may also have hydrocephalus (fluid on the brain), and some may also experience attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or other learning difficulties.
Phone: (407) 650-7715
Hours: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
If you’ve made an appointment, please be sure to bring along the following items to help us check you in as efficiently as possible:
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- any forms required for school, camp, sports, etc.
- a list of prior immunizations
Bring these forms for your first appointment:
Spina bifida care at Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando is like no other in Central Florida. That’s because our pediatric spina bifida experts (surgeons, specialists, behavioral health experts, therapists, nurses and social workers) work together across departments to provide your family with the best coordinated care possible, all under the same roof.
Our top priority is to give your child independence and confidence for a happy, healthy future.
Spina Bifida Specialists at Nemours Children's Hospital Treat Your Child as Our Own
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, your child is treated as one of our very own, which means we not only provide expert medical care, we’re involved in ensuring your child’s (and family’s), needs are being met at home, school and in the community.
Your team is also in close contact with your primary care physician who can access your child’s treatment and care through our award-winning electronic health record. So no matter where you go, everyone is on the same page.
For your convenience, some of our specialists see patients at our downtown Nemours Children’s Clinic, Orlando.
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
If your child needs to stay overnight, you’ll feel right at home in one of our private patient rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless Internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) allows your child to watch TV, surf the Web, check email, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- non-denominational chapel
- concierge services
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here at Nemours Children’s Hospital.
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.