Overhead Code BLUE (Off Unit)
- Two pre-assigned nurses will respond when the overhead announcement of a Code BLUE is made for the second or third floors or outside including the parking garage. The Charge Nurse cell phone will also be paged.
- The Emergency Department will respond to Code BLUE in all other areas of the hospital (first floor, ground floor.)
- If assistance is needed from the PICU Code BLUE response team, an overhead page will state "PICU response team is required at (Location.)"
- Bring the portable monitor/ defibrillator/pacer, intraosseous cannula device and the emergency bag from the PICU to the scene. This nurse should remain at the scene to assist with the emergency.
- Assure that first responders are providing effective BLS.
- Participate in the interventions of BLS and ALS appropriate to the circumstances of resuscitation.
- Prepare and administer medications.
- Assure that any additional resources are summoned to the scene of the medical emergency and additional personnel are paged as requested by the directing physician.
In the event of an overhead Trauma Code announcement:
- 1 (One) PICU RN should report immediately to the Emergency Department
- 1 (One) PICU RN should report to the blood bank to retrieve the cooler of blood. Report directly to the Emergency Department to drop off. Assist if required in ED or return to PICU.
- Blood Process: Signatures are needed at two points in this interaction: 1) the nurse receiving the blood from Blood Bank. 2) The physician in the ED that accepts it.
- If a blood slip is unavailable from the printer, the PICU RN needs to have a patient identifier (e.g. MRN number) and the Blood Bank will release it.
Code BLUE On Unit
- Alert Attending Physician
- Alert Charge Nurse
- Alert Respiratory Therapy
- Alert Social Work and Pastoral Care
- Alert Nursing Supervisor
- Retrieve Code Cart
- Designate Roles
- Follow PALS
Location of the Emergency Management Plan: This 500 page document is physically located in or with Administration, Safety Officer, Emergency Management Officer, and in the Incident Command Code Delta box. A digital link to this plan is available only through the Nemours intranet.