All staff are responsible for helping ensure the safety of patients, families and visitors.
- A Code PINK is called when personnel become aware of or are otherwise notified of abduction, suspected abduction, missing child or possible elopement.
- To activate a Code PINK, any Associate can call the emergency response number (53-5555) or alternatively a Code PINK is called by Command Center when a TotGuard tag triggers a sensor at or near an exit or unauthorized area.
- On admission to an inpatient unit, a disposable TotGuard band will be placed on the wrist or ankle of the patient being admitted.
- Inpatient units must immediately check if all their patients are accounted for and then call the Command Center at 53 5555 with results of a census check.
- Staff should report any suspicious activity by dialing 53 5555
- If the child is found with a person that is not the child's parents/guardians, try to keep the person in the area only if the child, yourself, visitors and other Associates are not in danger. Do not use force to stop the person from leaving.
- During an active Code Pink event, discharge of inpatients will be delayed until the event is cleared.
If Code PINK has not activated and you realize that patient is missing:
- Dial 53 5555 to manually initiate a Code PINK.
- Provide description of missing patient such as:
- Hair and eye color
- Approximate weight and height
- What child is wearing (color and type of clothing including shoes)
- Command Center announces Code PINK (Sample): Attention - Code PINK. "A 5 year old boy is missing last seen wearing a red shirt, blue jeans and black sneakers. He has blonde hair and weighs about 40 pounds. If you locate him call the Command Center at 53 5555."
- The Command Center makes announcement two times via the overhead fire alarm system speakers announcing "Code PINK" with location and as much patient information as is known
- Any known physical description of the child that is missing and/or potential abductor and all information about the incident will be obtained by security from the area as soon as possible and information conveyed to the Command Center. The pertinent information regarding the child and/or potential abductor's description will be communicated overhead by the Command Center.
- After announcement of Code PINK has been made, Security will respond to the location of the Code PINK alert and associates located near the location of the Code PINK alert shall monitor pedestrian traffic in these areas for any suspicious activity until the "All Clear" has been announced.
- A systematic and thorough search of the facility, as necessary, is coordinated by the Security Department.
Refer to the Code PINK & Missing Persons Alert policies for additional guidance.
- The organization's Code PINK Policy and Missing Person's Policy is located on-line at the Nemours intranet Policy Manager.
Location of the Emergency Management Plan: This 500 page document is physically located in or with Administration, Safety Officer, Emergency Management Officer, and in the Incident Command Code Delta box. A digital link to this plan is available only through the Nemours intranet.