All associates are responsible for helping ensure the safety of patients, families and visitors.
Preventing Patient Elopement or Abduction:
- Associates must ensure each inpatient is banded with a security band.
- When an inpatient approaches an exit, the alarm is automatically activated.
- Upon activation of a security band sensor, an overhead Code Pink announcement with location is made and surveillance cameras zoom in to the specific exit to aid in identification.
- Security responds to location of each Code Pink.
- Inpatient units must immediately check if all their patients are accounted for.
- Associates should report any suspicious activity.
- If the child is found with a person that is not the child’s parents/guardians, try to keep the person in the area only if the child, yourself, visitors and other associates are not in danger. Do not use force to stop the person from leaving.
If Tot Guard has not activated and you realize that patient is missing:
- Dial the Logistics Center at 57-5555 or push the Code Pink button on the nurse call associates panel if you witness or are notified of child abduction
- Provide description of missing patient such as:
- Actual gender (abductor may have tried to change gender look i.e. cut hair, put on baseball cap)
- Hair and eye color
- Approximate weight and height
- What child was wearing (color and type of clothing including shoes)
- Code Pink is announced 3 times (Sample): Attention - Code Pink. 5 year old boy wearing a red shirt, blue jeans and black sneakers. He has blonde hair and weighs about 40 pounds. If you find him call 57-5555.
- Associates Response To Missing Person:
- Security deploys immediately to main gate, back gate, Main Lobby and reporting department
- Associates should monitor their department/work area and report any suspicious activity to 57-5555
- If the child is found with a person that is not the child’s parent/guardian, try to keep the person in the facility only if the child, yourself & others are not in danger. Do not use force to stop a person from leaving