Temporary Visitor Restrictions
To keep you and your child safe, and to reduce the spread of COVID-19, we have implemented temporary visitor restrictions at all Nemours clinical locations and are requiring that everyone age two and older wear a mask while inside a Nemours facility. If you have a cloth or disposable mask, you are encouraged to wear it when you come to any Nemours location. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided to you.
For inpatient admissions and emergency department visits:
- We are asking families to name a healthy parent/caregiver to be a patient’s approved visitor for the full hospital stay. Only this person can visit. All others, including siblings, cannot come into the hospital.
- At Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Delaware and Nemours Children’s Hospital in Florida, families may have one or two approved healthy visitors in the patient room, but only one of those approved visitors is permitted in the procedure and surgery waiting areas. For more information, read our policy (PDF).
- The designated caregivers will undergo a health screening upon arriving at the hospital entrance. The screening includes answering a few quick questions and having a no-touch temperature check. After passing the screening, the designated caregivers may enter the building. Anyone who leaves the hospital will be screened again when they return.
- Designated caregivers who have symptoms of COVID-19, including fever or cough, shortness of breath or sore throat, will not be allowed in the hospital. Those who have had a positive COVID-19 test in the past 10 days or who have had close contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 14 days will also not be permitted entry. If you are sick, please stay home.
At times during the COVID-19 emergency, it may be necessary for Nemours to care for patients over the age of 21. These patients cannot have visitors.
For outpatient visits to urgent care, specialty care and primary care offices, and for procedure and surgery waiting areas:
- To ensure proper social distancing in these compact spaces, we are limiting visitors to one healthy parent or caregiver for each patient. Siblings and other family or friends may not be at these visits.
- Parents and caregivers who feel sick or who do not pass the health screening at the entrance of the Nemours facility will need to find a healthy caregiver to bring their child to their scheduled appointment. If parents can’t find a healthy adult to accompany their child, please call us to reschedule the appointment.
- Anyone age two and older must wear a mask while in a Nemours facility. If you have a cloth or disposable mask, you are encouraged to wear it when you come to any Nemours location. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided to you. Limiting visitors helps us control the spread of illness and keep everyone safe.
This process is subject to change. We are monitoring the situation daily and appreciate your help in protecting your child and others.
NOTE: These policies apply only at Nemours locations. Policies at our affiliated hospitals may be different.
For patients of Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Delaware: One healthy parent or caregiver may ride in the ambulance with a patient.
For patients of Nemours Children’s Hospital in Florida: Parents and caregivers will not be permitted to ride in ambulances with patients. They should plan to follow the ambulance to the destination.