Get in touch with the right contacts for all of our services.
Anne E. Kazak, PHD, Named Editor-in-Chief of American Psychologist
First non-staff editor of the journal
Anne E. Kazak, PhD, Co-Director of the Nemours Center for Healthcare Delivery Science based at Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, has been named editor-in-chief of American Psychologist, the flagship journal of the American Psychological Association. An eminent clinician, researcher, and educator, Dr. Kazak is the first editor of the journal who is not also CEO of APA, according to the APA Board of Directors, which made the appointment.
As the official journal of APA, American Psychologist contains archival documents and articles covering current issues across the discipline ranging from science and practice to psychology’s contribution to public policy.
- In addition to her role at Nemours, Dr. Kazak also co-directs the Center for Pediatric Traumatic Stress within the National Child Traumatic Stress Network. She is recognized internationally as a pioneer in the field of post-traumatic stress from pediatric illness and has published and presented widely in this area. Her innovative research has focused on identifying post-traumatic stress symptoms in childhood cancer survivors and their families, and the development of assessment tools for pediatric traumatic stress.
- Dr. Kazak is an experienced editor, having edited the Journal of Pediatric Psychology and the Journal of Family Psychology and currently serves as editor-in-chief of the APA journal Health Psychology, a post she has held since 2010.
- Dr. Kazak, who lives in Havertown, PA, is a licensed psychologist and professor of pediatrics at Sidney Kimmel Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia and adjunct professor of psychology at the University of Delaware.
- Dr. Kazak’s experience as a clinician, researcher and administrator has helped to advance integrated medical and behavioral care for children and families. She is a frequent consultant and reviewer on national and international projects related to pediatric psychology and the recipient of many research grants and awards.
- A graduate of Smith College, Dr. Kazak received her PhD in clinical-community psychology from the University of Virginia and completed her internship training at Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry.
"Anne Kazak is the ideal choice to be editor-in-chief of American Psychologist," said APA President Barry S. Anton, PhD. "She is a proven editor and a brilliant scholar, having published many papers, chapters and books related to psychological aspects of health for children and families. She is also an acclaimed teacher and mentor who brings a breadth of knowledge and experience that is a perfect match for the editorship."