Get in touch with the right contacts for all of our services.
Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children Designated a Paralympic Sport Club
Nemours Joins Select Group of Hospitals With Designation
The United States Paralympics Committee, a division of the U.S. Olympic Committee, has designated Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children as a Paralympic Sports Club. With this designation, Nemours joins a community based club network in 48 states and D.C. offering competitive opportunities for athletes with visual and physical disabilities. The designation supports Nemours’ commitment to helping children of all ability levels grow up healthy.
Although opportunities exist for sports competition on an Olympic level, paralympic programs create a larger platform for physical engagement beyond just high end competition. The clubs are open to children of all ages, and participants receive assistance and direction from Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists and Athletic Trainers.
- There are only 8 hospitals in the U.S. with this designation.
- Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children is one of two children’s hospitals with this certification.
- Delaware is home to two Paralympic Sports Clubs, besides Nemours there is YES U Can, Inc., an adult oriented club.
- More than 8000 participants under 21 are currently involved in Paralympic Sports Clubs.
- In 2014 Nemours started a competitive paralympic Boccia ball league open to ages 8 – 21.
"This is a great way to engage the disabled community, it shows that people can compete at various levels, not just high end competitions."
— Tim Duer,
Supervisor, Sports Med Program at Nemours
"U.S. Paralympics is dedicated to creating opportunities for individuals with physical and visual disabilities to be physically active in their own communities. Participation in physical activity enhances not only self-esteem and peer relationships, but also results in greater achievement, better overall health and higher quality of life."
— Dan Schweider,
U.S. Paralympics Director of Community Programs