Palliative care for children is about more than just medical treatment. Our pediatric Palliative and Supportive Care Program at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children was created upon the request of a family who had lost their child. Now, our team is honored to provide compassionate care geared toward helping the whole body, mind and spirit of families and children coping with life-threatening or life-limiting conditions. We’re here to relieve pain and give children a higher quality of life and comfort, while guiding and nurturing families during the most difficult time of their lives.
At every step, we involve you — the family — because no one knows your child better or understands more about what your child and family are going through than you do. Depending on your child’s needs, our team guides you in making decisions and provides pain management and other support to help your child and family cope with the physical, emotional and social effects of illness.
Why Measuring Results Matters
To provide pediatric care that's among the safest and most compassionate, we measure our results and compare them to national pediatric rates. Why? So we can:
- help you make decisions about your child’s care
- be clear about our results
- improve and consistently deliver better, safer care
We’re proud to say we’re doing better than the national standards in offering palliative and supportive care as early as possible.
Helping Children With Chronic Illnesses Live Better
Percentage of Patients Receiving Palliative Care for Non-Life-Threatening, Chronic Conditions
In North America, 70 percent of patients referred to pediatric palliative care receive supportive care for chronic disease management. The remaining 30 percent receive end-of-life services.
At Nemours, palliative care isn’t just about helping children with terminal illnesses. Evidence shows that adding palliative care early in managing serious (non-life-threating) chronic conditions reduces symptom severity and improves the overall quality of life for the whole family. So our palliative care team strives to support patients with chronic conditions (and their families) early on so that they can start living to their best ability sooner.
By partnering with our onsite pediatric subspecialists early on we also can help kids and their families cope with serious, chronic conditions that aren't life-threatening. We work, in particular, with children in the Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders, the Clinic for Neuromuscular Disorders, and the Nemours Cardiac Center.
Percentage Targeted Patients Receiving Chronic Condition Support (Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Del.)
National Average (Benchmark)
Data sources: Data collected from the palliative care team patient database. Average benchmark comes from a prospective, longitudinal trial (i.e., patients like ours over a similar time) of multiple pediatric palliative care centers throughout North America. Feudtner C1, Kang TI, Hexem KR, Friedrichsdorf SJ, Osenga K, Siden H, Friebert SE, Hays RM, Dussel V, Wolfe J. Pediatric palliative care patients: a prospective multicenter cohort study. Pediatrics. 2011 Jun;127(6):1094-101.
Our Differentiators: What Sets Nemours Palliative Care Apart
Why Choose Us
We created the Palliative and Supportive Care Program at duPont Hospital for Children specifically to help enhance children’s quality of life through:
- A collaborative, team approach to care. We build a team around your child’s needs that may include palliative care physicians and advance practice nurses, pain management specialists, physical and occupational therapists, Child Life specialists, and pastoral care providers.
- Services for the whole family. Our dedicated social worker helps families (including siblings) cope with chronic illness, find community resources, and manage home care if necessary.
- Nurturing support and guidance. Our team is here for you every step of the way, helping you make decisions and nurturing your family throughout the journey.
Learn more about our Palliative and Supportive Care Program, and how we help children and families cope with serious illnesses.
The Palliative and Supportive Care team at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children was nominated for the Delaware End-of-Life Coalition Excellence Award, and received the hospital's Synergy Award for Nurses Week Collaboration.
See how Nemours' care is recognized locally, across the country, and around the world. View Awards »
- Palliative Care
- Caring for a Seriously Ill Child
- Caring for Siblings of a Seriously Ill Child
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- End-of-Life Care for Children With Terminal Illness
- How Can Spirituality Affect Your Family's Health?
- Managing Home Health Care
- Relaxation Techniques for Children With Serious Illness
- Taking Care of You: Support for Caregivers