Our Emergency Department (ED) is fully equipped to handle all kinds of pediatric emergencies, including a variety of injuries and illnesses, in children from birth to age 18. We have full access to Nemours pediatric specialists, which means guidance for your child's complex injury or illness is just a phone call away.
For Appointments: (302) 651-4200
- Attia, Magdy W. , MD
- Bender, Brenda J. , MD
- Bennett, Jonathan E. , MD
- Cheng, Sonia S. , MD
- Cronan, Kathleen M. , MD
- DePiero, Andrew D. , MD
- Diaz, Maria Carmen G. , MD
- Diaz-Pupek, Marta S. , DO
- Doctor, Kaynan , MD
- Durani, Yamini , MD
- Eyal, Dalit , DO
- Fugok, Kimberly , DO
- Giordano, Kathryn M. , DO
- Green, Nicole A , MD
- Guinto-Ocampo, Hazel S. , MD
- Karasic, Denise Gavula , DO
- Kost, Susanne I. , MD
- Loiselle, John M. , MD
- Lorch, Margarita S. , MD
- Mayo, Monique A , MD
- Mull, Colette C. , MD
- Nwankwor, Odiraa C. , MD
- Palmer, Kathleen M. , MD
- Pitone, Melanie L. , MD
- Russo, Christopher J , MD
- Santos, Nelson R. , MD
- Sathish, Shobhana , MD
- Selbst, Steven M. , MD
- Taylor, Alexandra A. , MD
- Thompson, Amy D. , MD
- Zaritsky, Karen L. , MD
- Zomorrodi, Arezoo , MD
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
The Emergency Department of the Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children is fully equipped to handle all kinds of pediatric emergencies, including a variety of injuries and illnesses, in children from birth to age 18.
And our Level I Pediatric Trauma Center is available in Wilmington, Del., for emergency services and surgical services for seriously injured children and teens.
Our Emergency Department or the ED
Our group of emergency medicine specialists sees more than 45,000 patients per year. That's why we have two special areas to serve you:
Fast Track Unit
Located within the ED and open 16 hours a day, we have several advanced practice nurses (APNs) who work alongside doctors to provide care for minor injuries and illnesses.
Attached to the main department, this unit provides close monitoring for children with illnesses that are expected to resolve in less than 24 hours. Not only does this reduce the need to admit your child to the hospital, it also gives parents the peace of mind of knowing their child is being watched during the acute phase of illness.
Who Your Child Will See in the ED
The physician team includes 18 attending doctors who are board-certified in both pediatrics and pediatric emergency medicine and six fellows, who are doctors receiving advanced training in pediatric emergency medicine.
Our ED physicians are also actively involved in clinical research, which leads to a better understanding of acute illnesses in children. Because of their expertise, they are frequently invited to lecture regionally and nationally on emergency medicine topics.
All of our doctors are certified to provide sedation for painful procedures so your child won’t be uncomfortable during the treatment of conditions such as fractures, abscesses, and certain types of wounds. The most up-to-date methods of sedation are used, and tailored to your child’s specific needs.
Our physicians also work hand-in-hand with the highly skilled:
- ED nurses and APNs
- respiratory therapists, who provide breathing treatments, offer education, and perform regular breathing assessments during your child’s visit
- social workers, who help with resource referrals and coordinate transportation
- child life specialists, who help to minimize the stress of your child’s visit
- clinical liaisons, who address parents’ needs and provide updates to families
- numerous pediatric specialists from within the hospital
Keeping Your Child's Primary Care Doctor in the Loop
It’s our goal to partner with your primary care doctor and keep him or her updated about your child’s ED visit. To ensure the best continuity of care, we provide your child's pediatrician details about the visit through our sophisticated electronic medical record, or by fax or phone.