Research Opportunities for Fellows
Early in the first year, emergency medicine fellows will participate in an education and research training course, along with other subspecialty pediatric fellows. This course provides training in biostatistics, study design, clinical and laboratory research methodology, preparation of IRB protocols, abstract and manuscript writing and ethical principles related to clinical research. Additional training is provided by the fellowship director during monthly research lectures. Prior fellows have also completed MPH degrees during their 3 year fellowship. Many current and former fellows have successfully advanced their projects to presentations at national meetings and publications.
Examples of fellow research projects include:
Poster and Platform Presentations
- Kieffer J. Comparison of Paper and Electronic Medical Record for Trauma Activations in a Pediatric Trauma Center. Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting 2019; Philadelphia, PA.
- Fong K. Impact of Early Insulin Administration on Critically Ill Patients in Diabetic Ketoacidosis. Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting 2019; Las Vegas, NV.
- Fong K. Quality Improvement Initiative to Reduce Door-to-Insulin Time for Diabetics in the Pediatric Emergency Department. Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting 2019; Philadelphia, PA.
- Kusulas M. Are “Traumatic Taps” Truly Traumatic? Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting 2016; Baltimore, Md.
- Smith N. Ideal Observation Time after Racemic Epinephrine in the Pediatric Emergency Department for Those with Croup.Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting 2016; Baltimore, Md.
- Kelly S. The Effect of Subsidized Malaria Testing on Provider Treatment Patterns at a Togolese Mission Hospital. Pediatrics Academic Societies Annual Meeting 2016; Baltimore, Md.
- Kusulas M. The Effect of Team Care Plan Meetings on Resident Education in the Emergency Department. The Eastern Society for Pediatric Research Annual Meeting 2015; Philadelphia, Pa.
- Savage JS. Does the Role of a Rapid Triage Provider Improve Pain Control in an Academic Pediatric Emergency Department? Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting 2015; San Diego, Calif.
- Baghdassarian A. Pediatric Emergency Care: Knowledge Assessment of Pre-Hospital Emergency Physicians in Yerevan, Armenia. Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting 2013; Washington, D.C.
- Rogers BD. Correlation Between Unexpected Return Visits to a Pediatric Emergency Department and the Office Hours and Scheduling Times of the Primary Care Provider. American Academy of Pediatrics Annual Meeting 2012; New Orleans.
- Sandelich S. A Clinical Decision Support System Improves the Evaluation and Management of Pediatric Victims of Sexual Abuse. Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting 2017; San Franciso, Calif.
- Mayo M. Impact of Rapid Serum Lyme Testing on the Management of Monoarticular Arthritis in the Pediatric Emergency Department. Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting 2017; San Francisco, Calif.
- Fugok K. The effect of telemedicine on resource utilization and hospital disposition in critically ill pediatric transport patients. Society of Critical Care Medicine's Annual Congress 2016; Orlando, Fla.
- Kennedy T. The Utility of Peripheral White Blood Cell Count for Non-Diagnostic Ultrasound and Non-Contrast Magnetic Resonance Imaging Studies in Suspected Pediatric Appendicitis. Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting 2018; Toronto, Canada.
- Kennedy T. Pediatric Heatstroke Fatalities Caused By Being Left In Motor Vehicles. Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting 2018; Toronto, Canada.
- Cully M, Thompson AD, Depiero AD. Is lactic acidosis predictive of outcomes in pediatric diabetic ketoacidosis? Am J Emerg Med 2020;38:329-332.
- Fugok K, Slamon NB. The effect of telemedicine on resource utilization and hospital disposition in critically ill pediatric transport patients. Telemedicine and e-Health 2018;24(5).
- Hammett DL, Kennedy TM, Selbst SM, et al. Pediatric heatstroke fatalities caused by being left in motor vehicles. Ped Emerg Care 2020: Epub ahead of print.
- Kennedy T, Thompson AD, Choudhary A, Caplan R, Schenker K, Depiero A. Utility of applying white blood cell cutoffs to non-diagnostic MRI and ultrasound studies for suspected pediatric appendicitis. Am J Emerg Med 2019;37:1723-1738.
- McLean L, Elwell S, DePiero A. Assessment of the electronic medical record in documenting trauma resuscitations in the pediatric ED. Am Journal Emerg Med 2015;33:589-590.
- Giordano K, Rodriguez E, Green N, Armani M, Richards J, Shaffer TH, Attia, M. Pulmonary Function Tests in Emergency Department Pediatric Patients with Acute Wheezing/Asthma Exacerbation. Pulmonary Medicine 2012.
- Green NA, Durani Y, Brecher D, DePiero A, Loiselle J, Attia, M. Emergency Severity Index Version 4 – A Valid and Reliable Tool in Pediatric Emergency Department Triage. Ped Emerg Care 2012;28:753-757.
- Zomorrodi A, Bennett JE, Attia MW, Loiselle J, Rogers KJ, Kruse R. Consistency of Emergency Department and Orthopedic Physicians’ Diagnosis and Treatment of Distal Fibular Salter Harris I Fractures. Ped Emerg Care 2010;27:301-303.
- Durani Y, Brecher D, Loiselle J, Walmesly D, Attia MW. The Emergency Severity Index (Version IV): Reliability in Pediatric Patients. Ped Emerg Care 2009;25:504-507.
- Patel PB, Diaz MC, Bennett JE, Attia MW. Bacterial Conjunctivitis in Children. Acad Emerg Med 2007;14:1-5.
- Pitone ML, Attia MW. Pattern of Injury Associated with Routine Childhood Falls Children. Ped Emerg Care 2006;22:430-435.
- Savage J. An Unusual Case of Limp in a Toddler. Ann of Emerg Med 2016;67:296-306.
- Smith N, Giordano K, Thompson AD, et al. Failure of Outpatient Management with Different Observation Times After Racemic Epinephrine for Croup. Clin Peds 2018;57:706-710.
- Kusulas M, Eutsler EP, Depiero AD. Bedside ultrasound for the evaluation of epidural hematoma after infant lumbar puncture. Pediatric Emergency Care 2018; Epub ahead of print