About the Program
Our high school volunteer program places students who are 16 years of age and older in departments throughout our specialty care locations.
Teen volunteers gain valuable experience, marketable skills and an appreciation for community service through our student programs. It must be kept top of mind that volunteering with children is still serious business. We hold the same performance standards for student volunteers that we do for adult ones. But if you want the chance to learn about health care careers, interact with pediatric patients and their families, or simply help others, this program provides excellent opportunities.
How to Apply
All high school volunteers must:
- request an online application by contacting the Volunteer Services Department
- gain medical clearance including two tuberculosis tests, an immunization titer — or provide a shot record — an annual flu shot and a urine drug screening (screening costs covered by Nemours)
- clear background screenings, including — but not limited to — two personal references
- participate in a phone interview
- attend an online orientation class and annual update training
- complete training to perform outstanding customer service to patients, their families and Associates
- make a commitment to serve at least 50 hours per year
- serve at least two hours per month
Teen volunteers may apply at any time of the year. They must email to request an online application and must be at least 16 years old by the time they begin their volunteer service. An application does not necessarily grant you entrance into the high school volunteer program.
Teen volunteers may volunteer no later than 5 p.m. while school is in session. Teens may volunteer more hours during the summer, and on school breaks and teacher work days.
- have consistent patience interacting with children from birth to age 16, as well as with their siblings and parents
- be able to speak and understand English
- be willing to learn the skills necessary to be competent in their duties and responsibilities
Becoming a Nemours volunteer allows you to:
- explore career opportunities
- contribute to your community
- meet new and interesting people
- gain invaluable learning experiences, as well as references and recommendations
- receive a free annual flu vaccine
- be recognized for your service hours