College Volunteer Program
Volunteering at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children allows you to gain experience preparing for future endeavors in health care and particularly in a pediatric hospital setting. We offer volunteering opportunities throughout the year, working on a semester basis for college students. You must meet the standard 50-hour requirement within six months in order to be a participant in the college program. The college program provides services to more than 80 departments throughout the hospital. Many college students work directly with patients and their families.
You would make a great college volunteer if you meet the following requirements:
- You are enrolled as a college student with an interest in pursuing a career in health care.
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You have a proactive demeanor and selfless mindset.
- You have a positive and professional attitude.
- You are able to commit to a regular weekly schedule to complete the required 50 hours within six months.
- You are able to speak and understand English.
- You are willing to learn the skills necessary to be competent in the assigned duties and responsibilities.
Please note that the Volunteer Office does not handle internships, externships, shadowing or observing. These requests should be directed to the department of interest.
- Fall Session (September–December)
- Spring Session (January–May)
- Summer Session (May–August) application closes the end of March
The Spring College Volunteer Program is currently full. We are now accepting applications for the 2021 Summer College Program.
Complete and submit the online application, explaining why you would like to participate in our program. Your application is not complete and will not be reviewed until you completed the accompanying forms including an immunization record.
Submit the required forms:
- scan and e-mail to: email@example.com
- mail to the Volunteer Services office at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, 1600 Rockland Road, Wilmington, DE, 19803
The 2021 Summer College Session starts May 17, 2021 and runs through August 15, 2021. You must be able to sign up for one 3-hour shift per week and volunteer a minimum of eight weeks.
Applications for the 2021 summer session are due by March 29, 2021. All forms including Immunizations must be completed by April 16, 2021, to be considered for the program.
Sign up for an Interview/Information session.
After the interview/information session you attend, and if we are able to make a match, you will be required to:
- clear background screenings
- gain medical clearances
- complete online training