College Volunteer Program
Volunteering at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children allows you to gain experience preparing for future endeavors in health care and particularly in a pediatric hospital setting. We offer volunteering opportunities throughout the year, working on a semester basis for college students. You must meet the standard 50-hour requirement within six months in order to be a participant in the college program. The college program provides services to more than 80 departments throughout the hospital. Many college students work directly with patients and their families.
You would make a great college volunteer if you meet the following requirements:
- You are enrolled as a college student with an interest in pursuing a career in health care.
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You have a proactive demeanor and selfless mindset.
- You have a positive and professional attitude.
- You are able to commit to a regular weekly schedule to complete the required 50 hours within six months.
- You are able to speak and understand English.
- You are willing to learn the skills necessary to be competent in the assigned duties and responsibilities.
Please note that the Volunteer Office does not handle internships, externships, shadowing or observing. These requests should be directed to the department of interest.
- Fall Session (September–December)
- Spring Session (January–May)
- Summer Session (May–August) application closes the end of March
The well-being of our patients, families, associates and volunteers is our utmost priority as a healthcare system. In light of the current guidelines designed to reduce potential risk exposure to our communities due to COVID-19, we are limiting the number of volunteers in our facilities.
Currently, the only positions we have open at this time are during the hours of 8 a.m. to noon or noon to 4 p.m. We do not have weekend or evening positions open at this time.
If you are interested in supporting the hospital in one of these limited positions, please complete the Application and Required Forms below. Once we receive your Application and Required Forms, we will reach out to you within 5 business days to set up a phone interview.
Complete and submit the online application, explaining why you would like to participate in our program. Your application is not complete and will not be reviewed until you completed the accompanying forms including an immunization record.
Submit the required forms:
- scan and e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- via Fax (302) 651-4083
- hand-deliver to the Volunteer Services office at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, 1600 Rockland Road, Wilmington, DE, 19803
- Volunteer Application
- Required Forms (PDF)
Sign up for an Interview/Information session.
After the interview/information session you attend, and if we are able to make a match, you will be required to:
- clear background screenings
- gain medical clearances
- complete online training