Collaborating for Kids
Adult care may not be the best fit for children’s needs. That’s why Nemours Children’s Health System collaborates with Union Hospital to offer specialized pediatric expertise in Elkton, Md.
Combining Union Hospital’s strong reputation and central location with Nemours’ advanced pediatric care demonstrates our shared belief that kids do better when we work together.
What Nemours Offers at This Location
Nemours pediatric specialists are available around-the-clock at Union Hospital for:
- Emergency Department (ED) care — Our pediatric specialists provide consultations for children and teens in the hospital’s ED, as needed. That means Union Hospital’s physicians ask our pediatric specialists for their expertise in order to give children the best possible care from doctors who treat kids every day. The hospital’s family-centered ED is designed for families with children, and features kid-friendly equipment, exam rooms and waiting area.
- Pediatric unit care — A team of Nemours pediatric hospitalists (board-certified pediatricians who are experts in treating hospitalized infants, children and adolescents) provides care in the hospital’s pediatric units.
- Newborn care — Nemours neonatologists (newborn medicine specialists) provide newborn consultations in the hospital’s Maternal & Infant Center. Our hospitalists attend high-risk deliveries, care for newborns in the nursery and stabilize sick newborns for transport if necessary.
Nemours and Union Hospital also work together to:
- facilitate the transfer of extremely ill pediatric children to Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Del.
- coordinate ongoing care, when needed, with our specialists at Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Becks Woods or duPont Hospital for Children
- offer a telehealth connection — Caregivers at Union Hospital use Nemours CareConnect technology for online video consultations with Nemours physicians. In this way, specialists at Nemours Children’s Hospital can help deliver the best health care possible to Union Hospital’s pediatric patients.